Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inspector Adjustments HUD show weird characters

My Aperture Version 3.2.1 all of a sudden shows weird characters in my inspector adjustments HUD. I.e. Instead of CropOperations I now read DGCrop Operations and the likes. It's ever more weired in the full screen retouch adjustments panel. There one can read wordings such as DGGNGSmoothing Operation and other crazy nomenclature.

The first time I experienced that I completely deinstalled my current Aperture version and reinstalled a fresh copy. Everything was fine for a day or two. However last night it came back out of the blue.

Does anyone have an idea what's happening here.

See these screenshots for better explanation of this problem. Thanks.

file://localhost/Users/norbert/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202011-11-10%20at%2012.01.0 8%20AM.png

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Quad Core 2.8, 27, 8GB RAM

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 8:18 AM

6 replies

Nov 12, 2011 5:04 PM in response to nyappleman

Hi Kirby, thanks for joing in. No I don't have anything installed of that nature lately. I don't think Growl (that I have installed 2 days ago ) would mess with Aperture. I deleted my problem aperture version today and reinstalled a fresh one ( trial version from Apple website plus updates ) then imported my library and everything seems to be fine now. I just wonder why and for how long.

Nov 12, 2011 5:51 PM in response to nyappleman

The old problem is back now. I noticed that that things worked well and my inspector adjustment HUD looked "normal" right after I installed a fresh Aperture copy from Apple's website. Even after importing my huge Aperture library things worked well. However, as soon as I close Aperture and reopen it my inspector adjustment HUD is messed up. Go figure !!!

Here is another screenshot of before and after

Before

User uploaded file

After

User uploaded file

Even the wording is completely off. Where is that DGGNG string coming from?

Nov 12, 2011 9:19 PM in response to nyappleman

Do you perhaps have two Aperture installions - the old one with weird menus and the new installation, freshly installed from the App Store? Search with Spotlight for "Aperture". Your most recent Apterure should be the one installed in "Applications"; is the one you deleted still sitting in the Trash?

After force-quitting the new Aperture and opening again your Aperture Library could still be set to be opened with the older Aperture Version, if that were still there.

Where is that DGGNG string coming from?

searching with locate from the Terminal I found the string inside the Aperture.app package (and the iPhoto.app), as part of the localization strings of the "Geode.framework"

% locate DGGNG

/Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/Frameworks/Geode.framework/Versions/A/Resour ces/English.lproj/DGGNGBlurOperation.strings

/Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/Frameworks/Geode.framework/Versions/A/Resour ces/English.lproj/DGGNGBurnOperation.strings

/Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/Frameworks/Geode.framework/Versions/A/Resour ces/English.lproj/DGGNGContrastOperation.strings

/Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/Frameworks/Geode.framework/Versions/A/Resour ces/English.lproj/DGGNGMultiplyOperation.strings

/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/Geode.framework/Versions/A/Resource s/English.lproj/DGGNGTintOperation.strings

/Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/Geode.framework/Versions/A/Resource s/English.lproj/DGGNGVibrancyOperation.strings

If I look inside these localization files with XCode, I see the correct description of these effects:

%open -aXCode /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/Frameworks/Geode.framework/Versions/

A/Resources/English.lproj/DGGNGMultiplyOperation.strings

/* Interface */

DGGNGMultiplyOperation = "Polarize";

DGGNGMultiplyOperationLong = "Polarize (Multiply)";

inputIntensity = "Intensity";

inputIntensityTooltip = "The amount of polarization effect applied to the area brushed on the image";

For some strange reason your Aperture seems to use the filename of the localization file instead of the strings defined inside the file? Are maybe the correct localization files missing in your Aperture version? Which country have you set in the "Language and Text" preference pane of the System Preferences? I did not see a localization file for "british english", eg.

Regards

Léonie

Nov 13, 2011 9:55 PM in response to nyappleman

Leonie, thanks for all your efforts and research. It seems that my problem is gone away now. At least I am working with a fresh trial copy from the Apple website with no problems at all. Let me answer your questions first.

No , I never had two different copies of Aperture installed at the same time. I deleted the old one first and emptied the trash before downloading a new one.

Yes, I did work with a German localisation of Aperture while on the road with my MBA and exported a few libraries from that MBA to my home iMAC when I returned. Ever since the home machine started acting up.

Here is how I fixed the situation. I deleted my problem Aperture version and reinstalled a fresh trial version from Apple ( as I did before). However, this time I did not switch (File>Switch to Library>Other/New) to my old library but rather imported ( File>Import>Library/Project ) my old library. That took a couple of hours ( 377 GB ) but obviously completely solved the problem. Don't know why but I thought I let you know.

Thanks again for your response.

Regards Norbert

Inspector Adjustments HUD show weird characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.