Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect to a network Hard-drive (NAS)?

Hi,

I'm not that old MAC user, just a few months year old user 🙂

SUMMARY:

I'm having this issue of trying to connect to a USB Hard-drive that is connected to a Networking USB Server from Sanoxy: http://sanoxy.com/storage.html. I just can't get it to connect. On the other hand, a USB Printer (Canon MP830) was connected to this Sanoxy Server and it works like a charm.

MISSION:

Connect to a network Hard-drive

PURPOSE:

Store and retrieve personal data

SETUP:

MacBook Pro Wireless SANOXY USB

10.6.8 ))(( Router --- Networking --- Hard-drive

192.168.1.6 Gateway USB Server

What I have already tried?

I tried the "Connect to Server" (CMD+K from the Finder), with no luck. I also tried to disable the Firewall temporarily, and to connect again. No luck also.

Moreover, I contacted the Vendor but they haven't responded.

If anyone has any idea, or have performed this setup with this product or a similar NAS product, kindly assist..

Thank you in advance,

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 10:29 AM

7 replies

Nov 12, 2011 11:03 AM in response to MetaPixel

Well their web site doesn't inspire much faith...

First guess - have you actually setup the device to share the hard drive? There's probably some option in the admin interface to do this.

Secondly, even if you have enabled sharing, the chances are they support only SMB file sharing - the Windows standard - not AFP.

When you use Connect To Server, Mac OS X will, by default, try AFP. If the server isn't running AFP it won't connect. The trick is to tell your system to connect via SMB rather than AFP which you do by prepending smb:// to the hostname/IP address, e.g.:

Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server

Enter smb://192.168.1.9/

There may be additional authentication elements (e.g. it may prompt for a username/password)

Nov 12, 2011 11:43 AM in response to Camelot

Hi Camelot,

Appreciate your response..

However, forgot to mention that there was a Windows utlity software that you install on a Windows PC, to kind of manage the usb connected devices. It shows that both Hard-drive and the Printer are ready to be used. You can also access via HTTP, but it is featureless. I also configured a password on the USB Server for security. And previously tried AFP and SMB protocols, as you mentioned. I even tried HTTP protocol instead after getting a little desperate. Surprisingly, HTTP was the only protocol to prompt for a username and password, when there is only password configured! I tried all combinations of usernames along with the password I configured with no luck. Even tried the Guest access. 😢😢

Nov 13, 2011 8:11 AM in response to ...JER

Thanks ...JER for the response..

Which Network you're referring to. The Network under "System Preferences", OR the Network Connect under "Applications" folder?

I tried the second and it has the same results as the previous methods mentioned above. However, the first I'm still working with, it has a lot of options, nothing seems to be reasonable except for one option:

System Preferences>Network>AirPort>Advanced>WINS

I defined the server IP. But still, there are things seems to be missing. Can you please assist?

Regards,

Nov 14, 2011 7:12 AM in response to ...JER

Thansks again ...JER,

Unfortunately, nothing shows-up at my side. I tried also to disable the firewall, also with no luck.

On the other hand, The update here is that I've downloaded nmap to perform a "Comprehensive Scan" on the server. Maybe I can find another way into the system 🙂

I'll update this discussion if anything useful is found..

Connect to a network Hard-drive (NAS)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.