Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fcpx coexist with fcp7 - separate hard drive?

I have a lot of FCP7 projects that need to be preserved and perhaps edited in the future currently on the intermal hard drive and using OSX-6 Would it make sense to buy a firewire disk, make it a startup disk for Lion and Final Cut Pro X, so I can move forward to FCPX and still conserve the existing projects? I have read the Apple advisory suggesting to keep the two programs on separate partitions. My internal disk is not suitable for making a second partition. I also have several TB of Final Cut Pro 7 video files on external drives.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 1:00 PM

There is no reason at all why you can't keep FCP 7 and FCP X on the same computer and on the same partition.

There is absolutely no need to make a second partition.

I do it along with many more people.

When you install FCP X it will simply put your old FCS apps into a separate folder in your Applications folder.

The only thing you can't do is open both apps simultaneously, but you wouldn't want to do that anyway.

Message was edited by: Ian R. Brown

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2011 1:00 PM in response to Claude Lyneis

There is no reason at all why you can't keep FCP 7 and FCP X on the same computer and on the same partition.

I do it along with many more people.

When you install FCP X it will simply put your old FCS apps into a separate folder in your Applications folder.

The only thing you can't do is open both apps simultaneously, but you wouldn't want to do that anyway.

Message was edited by: Ian R. Brown

Apr 25, 2013 9:19 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Okay Mr. Brown

I challenge you to explain how it is this all works.

I have FCP X on my computer and have attempted to load up FCP7

Please tell me how it is that a "folder" for FCP7 is created?

All I can see in my apps folder is one for FCP X

All of the other software that did not conflict (i.e. color, dvd studio pro, soundtrack) got their own folder

How is a good installation of both programs on the same hard drive achieved?

Thanks

Apr 25, 2013 11:25 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

Hey Ian.

For the past 15 months I've run both Final Cuts on the same partition and as you've pointed out to others numerous times the two apps coexist nicely on the same (non-partitioned) drive. So I agree with the advice except…

I have found a reason to partition, which I'm going to do in the next week. I've happily running FC Studio and CS3 on Snow Leopard. However, I have heard from folks who know a lot more about this stuff than I do that FCPX will run better on Lion amd Mt Lion. Also, I often find the camera manufacturer's import plug-ins are not compatible with my "ancient" OS and I am then forced to use our MBP, which runs 10.7, for import – or employ work-arounds. So I will have a dual boot system – SL and ML

Time will tell whether it was worth the hassle.

Russ

Apr 25, 2013 11:33 AM in response to Russ H

I've messed around with dual boot systems but not for FCP7/FCP X.

One of the reasons was that my old Epson 3170 Photo scanner only had limited capabilities in Mountain Lion so I made a dual boot partition with Snow Leopard that enabled me to use the ancient but marvellous Epson Scan app.

However, I changed my mind a couple of weeks later and made one of my hard drives SL bootable as I wasn't to comfortable with having it on my iMac's drive.

There was nothing wrong . . . . . just that I wanted to keep my iMac as empty and simple as possible.

fcpx coexist with fcp7 - separate hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.