Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Occasional Kernel Panic and "invalid catalog btree depth info (4.1)"

My Mac is 6 years old, and is functioning OK in general. Occasionally in the morning I find my Mac making a loud noise coming from the fan, blank screen, and as told, it's one of those Kernel Panic crashes where I have to press the power button to shut down, wait 5-10 minutes and power up again to have my Mac get back to normal.

This has happened 3-4 times in the past couple months. Only one time it happened in front of my eyes, while surfing the net, when I suddenly watched the gray curtain coming down with a message to shut down and restart. Again, once I restart -- all is back to normal again...

This morning it happened again, which was disturbing, since just last night I performed my weekly Cocktail run.... This time I decided to do a few tests. I started up from the install CD, run Disk Utility -- all was OK.

I have an external drive, which is my back up and my HD's MIRROR (runs every Saturday morning, using Tri-Backup). So I restarted from that ext. drive, launched Drive Genius 2 to test my HD: ran the Repair utility > Verify --- and it FAILED ("invalid catalog btree depth info (4.1)"), as was the case with REPAIR or REBUILD, all failed.

When rebooting again from my internal HD, launching Drive Genius again, this time testing my ext., MIRRORED drive --- verification was successful.

The only difference between the 2 drives is, my internal drive is S.M.A.R.T-supported, while my ext. is not, if that makes any significance...

One more note: For years now, any attempt to launch Disk Warrior (4.1) has failed.... It just would never complete the launching process (=crash)....

.......OK, that's my story, let's see how good you guys are......... 😉 😉 😉

Thanks!

G5 Dual Core 2 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 5 GB Ram

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 1:00 PM

11 replies

Nov 12, 2011 1:52 PM in response to BDAqua

No IntelMac here, I got one of the last of the pre-intel G5 machines (Oct. '05)... I use my Mac to make my living, I refuse to be Apple's Guinea Pig... Always the last to buy any new hardware or software....

...I will try launching DW, then open Console and see what it says about what happened at that particular time...

....Or can I have Console OPEN while trying to launch DW? Can I see what's going on in REAL TIME?

--- Thanks, BDAqua, I KNOW I can trust you, as has been always before...

Nov 12, 2011 5:32 PM in response to BDAqua

Excuse my ignorance.... I have Console running, and I had launched DW. It crashed, as expected.

NOW: where in Console do I go to get the information that would help figuring why DW has crashed, which of the logs should I select?

Under Logs > CrashReporter I have DiskWarrior.crash.log --- I see a report dated back 2006 (and of an older version of DW), full of "stuff".... I used the CLEAR button, everything was deleted, and today's date showed up on the top, but no report is showing up... Even after I Forced-Quit DW, no report is showing.

When I clicked on another log, and then came back to DW's crash.log -- the same old report from 2006 shows up again...

So clearly this NEW report I should look elsewhere...

---------- EDIT: Go to console.log?

Here is what I get from that time-frame:

2011-11-12 19:07:06.600 python[372] Matcher finalizing...

2011-11-12 19:07:07.190 python[372] JunkMatcher stopped.

Nov 12 19:07:27 my-names-power-mac-g5 authexec: executing /Applications/Utilities/DiskWarrior 4.1/DiskWarrior.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskWarriorRebuildServer

DiskWarriorRebuildServer: Rebuild server lost communications with application, exiting.

2011-11-12 19:11:23.578 Mail[582] Loaded JunkMatcher bundle 1.6.1 (Tiger).

2011-11-12 19:11:23.614 Mail[582] *** -[NSBundle load]: Error loading code /Library/Mail/Bundles/UnsubMailPluginMailAppOSX.mailbundle/Contents/MacOS/Unsub MailPluginMailAppOSX for bundle /Library/Mail/Bundles/UnsubMailPluginMailAppOSX.mailbundle, error code 2 (link edit error code 0, error number 0 ())

2011-11-12 19:11:24.632 python[585] JunkMatcher Engine 1.6.1 listening at port 50000.

2011-11-12 19:11:24.657 python[585] Matcher initialization completed.

Nov 12 19:16:57 my-names-power-mac-g5 authexec: executing /Applications/Utilities/DiskWarrior 4.1/DiskWarrior.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskWarriorRebuildServer

DiskWarriorRebuildServer: Rebuild server lost communications with application, exiting.

Message was edited by: mynameismyname

Nov 12, 2011 10:44 PM in response to BDAqua

BINGO !!!

Not sure why I forgot all about this, something that we used to do quite a bit in the old days, but we called it a different name......

So I did it, and DW did launch, took a while to do it's magic, and fixed lots of things. Re-tested it with Drive Genius, and this time the verification went thru flawless...

Thanks, BDAqua, you saved me again..... 😍

Occasional Kernel Panic and "invalid catalog btree depth info (4.1)"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.