Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro CMOS battery

The CMOS battery in my Mac Pro was cracked. My friend was fooling around to replace it before I could finish trying to find how to in the instruction manual. He pryed it up and broke the metal contact. My computer seems to function OK without it minus an error with one App causing a restart. Is it ok to run my Mac Pro without this CMOS battery? Since the metal contact is broke i don't see a good way to fix it.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 1:33 PM

24 replies

Feb 4, 2017 11:26 AM in response to matthewtobin87

You CAN totally run your Mac without the CR2032 battery!

(On a Mac Pro 3,1)

I was in the same boat as everybody, and the broken clip.

With overall exceptional design, I was really surprised that they under engineered the clip. On first view, it looks like it should just fold up & off, so I was really surprised how easily it snapped off.

Before taking off everything to attempt a complicated soldering repair, I thought, why not just power it on & cross my fingers?

Happy to say that it works just fine, and infact it fixed the issue I was having where the system had stopped detecting my wired keyboard/mouse & anything USB.

That was my initial reason to replace the battery.

In essence, YES you will be fine running your system without the battery.

It actually booted faster than ever before, which is an added unexpected benefit :)

& best of all...after numerous other attempts, my USB ports and keyboard finally work!!

By all means, leave the battery off.

Sep 25, 2017 9:59 AM in response to Jake Sully

Jake Sully

You have hopped onto the end of an old thread, posted on the Mac Pro (desktop systems) page.

I am afraid the error is yours. All the owners here except you are talking about the 42 lb silver tower Mac Pro with 4-PCIe slots, models released from 2006 through 2012, that features the BR 2032 coin cell battery pictured.

If the holder were still working, the battery could be replaced by the CR 2032 battery used in garage door openers and car key fobs.

Nov 12, 2011 1:43 PM in response to Kappy

Understandable but the metal contact is broken so lol guess I am out of luck, and have to deal with a malfunctioning computer. I have tried to buy a battery and electric tape it in but the heat from my graphics card i believe keeps that from happening and the only way is to lay down and hope it makes contact. I know of no other way to fix the CMOS battery holder.

Nov 12, 2011 1:50 PM in response to Kappy

On newer Mac Pro models, they have used a coin cell CR2032 3 Volt Long Life Lithium battery, half-hidden behind the graphics card slot.

EDIT: On really old Macs, (5500 and 6500 series) they used yet another battery, and it cost about US$25 for a replacement. It was very tempting to just substitute a battery holder and a few AA or AAA batteries -- you just had to make sure they do not get run all the way down, because they leak when they run down to zero.

Jan 17, 2012 12:36 AM in response to Robert Slezk

It will function pretty well without a CMOS just make sure you "slide" it out. As far as a dead PSU that is your main problem here. Mac Pro Repair - Superdrive and Power Supply Removal - YouTube watch this video I would say take it out and try to match the model number and wattage up with a replacement PSU. I am pretty sure it is a modular power supply. A bit slow on this response I hadn't been reading my secondary email over the holidays. Also a PSU repair is anywhere between 60-200 usually depending on the model and type. Also this may be one of the easier repairs to get done. / do yourself. CMOS battery might function if you electrical tape the contact on and lay your computer on its side. I have taken apart my Mac Pro once down to the processors, and it was a pain in the butt to put back together and piece all the things in there correctly. The only other way I can think of is trying to manually put a new CMOS casing on your MOBO which requires taking your logic board out complicated process not worth it to me at the moment for an old computer. Just pop a new PSU in if possible and deal with no CMOS battery in it until you can afford a new comp. I play high end video games without a CMOS battery like Skyrim on bootcamp, and WoW works fine for me. Occasionally misfunctioning CD-ROM and sometimes a computer that doesn't want to shut down properly are my symptoms, but it is surviving like a champ.

Mac Pro CMOS battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.