8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2011 5:55 PM by LawrenceFerr01
LawrenceFerr01 Level 1 (0 points)

I am using FCP studio 2 using Mac OSX. and Used a LaCie RAID to store my video.

I use a back up Tobshia hard drive that I would like to use when I travel with my MacBook Pro. But it seems that

I have to reconnect the media even though I did not change any files or folders.

This did not happen when I used a Licea external hard drive, only when I transferred to the Tobshia.

Maybe it worked before, when the external and internal RAID hard drives were both LaCie?

How do I use my external hard drive of any make, plug it into my MacBook Pro equipped with FCP Studio 2, and not have to reconnect meida?

THANKS!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.3)
  • Meg The Dog Level 6 (10,880 points)

The drive volume has to have the same name and directory.

MtD

• LawrenceFerr01 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks. How do I do give the "drive volume" the same name and directory?

The path that Final Cut is expecting to find the media files must be identical. If your external drive on your desktop is named "Fred" and the files are in a folder named "Project One" then the external that is connecting to your laptop that you transferred the files to also needs to be named "Fred" and the files also need to be in a folder named "Project One".

MtD

• Michael Grenadier Level 7 (20,340 points)

Are you asking how to rename drives and folders?  If so, I'd really suggest you do some basic reading on the mac OS.  If you click on the name of a file, folder or drive in the finder and then click again (not too quickly), you'll be allowed to rename.  You can also select the file, folder or drive and hit command-i which loads the info window.  Renaming is pretty intuitive there.

I actually do have both harddrives labeled the same. ( I thought you were referrring to some hidden file somewhere.)

The harddrives are both labeled the same

All of the folders and files inside the folders were directly copied from the RIAD on my desktop, so there are no

files that are differently labled.

And the route to those files are exactly the same?

On drive one, for example, it is something like "DriveName/FinalCutPro Documents/Capture Scratch/MyProject/MediaFiles" (where each "/" indicates a folder)?

and is exactly the same on the other drive? If so it should indeed be finding the media files.

MtD

• Michael Grenadier Level 7 (20,340 points)

I do this all the time without any problems, so double check as Meg suggests.  One way to check.  Select a media file on your desktop system and hit command-i.  In the file info window, you'll find the file path in General/ Where.  Make sure it matches that of the same file on your notebook system.

Thanks for that information. You saved me many frustrating hours reonnecting media. I am grateful for your help!