Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 4 battery drain/overheating after IOS 5.0.1 update

I have an Iphone 4, (purchased the day it came out) and have not had any sort of battery problems until after I upgraded to IOS 5.0.1, today. Furthermore, my phone actually feels very hot, as if it is overheating. I have turned-off all push notifications, location services, airplane mode, Wi-Fi, etc. to no avail on alleviating the problem. Also, my warranty is expired and I could not even E-mail Apple about the issue, without opting to pay for it, hence this post.

Has anyone else experienced these problems with their Iphone 4? If so, does anyone have a solution or any further information on how to proceed?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 6:05 PM

14 replies

Nov 12, 2011 6:14 PM in response to BATTERYGATE

I too have an iPhone 4 that I've had 9 months without the battery ever running down. I updated last night and this morning when I picked up my phone the battery was dead. I have email checked manually. Usually, if I've forgotten to turn off my phone at night I lose just a very few percentage points on the charge overnight.

I'm convinced that Apple really screwed up with this update.

I want to figure out if it's possible to revert to 5.00.

Nov 15, 2011 1:44 PM in response to BATTERYGATE

Have had iPhone 4 from its launch, no problesms at all. Since updating to iOS5.0.1 My battery will not last the day with out being recharging and will not fully recharge from the red zone over night.

My Mobile phone usage has not changed significantly and prior to this upgrade my daly battery use was negiliable

everything else seems ok but the life of the battery means the phone is not viable as a mobile device.

Nov 15, 2011 2:32 PM in response to BATTERYGATE

Their no batterygate. You are batterygate. The problem is your battery is over heating or darning it's because your phone has something running in the background period.

This is what you have to do.

Turn off SETTING TIME ZONE in settings

Then deleted all emails accounts and any apps running in the background.

Turn off IPhone and turn it back on.

Final drain battery till its dead. After let it get a full recharge. Don't stop or disconnect.

If it doesn't work it because you have email accounts totally working in the background which you don't know and have not deleted.

Nov 15, 2011 3:21 PM in response to Mac Beep Beep

So what happens when we have done all this i assume the eamil accounts and apps I have on my phone for the best part of two years will start to do the same thing eat the battery, or mayby you expect us not to have email accounts or any apps on the phone just go back to having a telephone.

This sounds a bit like the solutions offered to people with 4S

As my battery is not over heating I would assume that must still be an issue with the battery or more likely the ios that controls it. I think it highly unlikely that iphones which have functioned perfectly should on mass start having battery issues. it is patently obvious the problem is with the OS or the way it was installed and not with the hardware or existing apps. My guess is the ios will be updated or there will be a flurry of application updates to resolve the issue

Nov 15, 2011 6:22 PM in response to Graeme Armitage1

It's not the iOS is the problem. Apple sold over 7 million iPhones 4/S and only 1-2% have problem. The peroblem is when using Exchange or hotmail your are still connected on when you should be off. That why you have to deleted all mail accounts and add them again after you reboot your phone. Then drain your battery dead and recharge full.

Nov 18, 2011 6:53 PM in response to BATTERYGATE

Did you ever come to a solution? I bought mine January of this year, so it's not too old. I updated my iPhone two days ago & yesterday it overheated to the point it was fire in my hand. I was just syncing it. I have no background running apps, no games, no WIFI, no email or internet. The phone is completely at factory standards with no Apple account assigned, thus it has to to be the IOS update software affecting older phones. So any solutions out there and is there any way to downgrade the IOS? By the way, I'm also outside of warranty since I had the screen replaced. I don't have have the updates nor know how to proceed without using iTunes. I'm going on a long trip in a couple days, but with the iPhone now unusable, I have to scramble to get a cheap unlocked phone with a pre-paid sim.

Nov 18, 2011 7:07 PM in response to BATTERYGATE

Hi everyone,

I believe that a "hard reset' fixes the problem. First, turn off as many location services as you can (to improve overall battery life). Then, hold down your home button and on/off button at the top until prompted to turn off the phone. Just keep holding both buttons down until the phone shuts off itself. After doing this myself, my battery life has improved and it has not felt hot since.

Hope this helps!

Nov 22, 2011 1:07 AM in response to BATTERYGATE

Had exactly the same issue, iPhone 4, IOS 5, no battery problems. Updated to 5.0.1 which I did wirelessly on the phone for the first time rather than plugging into iTunes. When I went to bed I think it was 56% battery, when my alarm went off six hours later I had 9% left!!! I get up on my second alarm 20 mins later but my partner woke me up because my alarm didn't go off and it was completely dead within those 20 mins!

I'll try going through the settings and resetting it again but that's the first time the battery has completely screwed up like that.

Nov 28, 2011 11:41 AM in response to BATTERYGATE

I bought mine 2 weeks ago so not very old, yesterday i decided to update my iPhone 4G to the last iOS 5, did the upgrade nothing wrong, but after a while i picked it up the phone was hot so i unplugged it, then i realised my battery was going down fast for example: i was at 81% after 20 mins of listening to music down to 72%. I tried the tips users listed to combat it but it didn't help much. It was fine the way it was before the update, i shouldn't have done it. Dissapointing.

Jan 31, 2012 9:50 PM in response to Julian946

I had the same issue and tried everything, including restoring to factory settings, removing all my apps and adding one at a time, but the issue of battery running out quickly and overheating persisted. Finally worked it out. It was the emails being pushed to my phone that was causing it. I have three separate email addresses because of my work and I turned each of them off, fixed it straightaway. My phone now runs cool and the battery lasts for days. I still have my email setup but check my emails manually by turning each service on and off a few times a day. It's somewhat inconvenient, but was better than cooking my phone or having my battery run out in about 4-6 hours.

Admittedly this has only been happening since that last iOS update. So am hoping Apple have a fix.

Hope that helps.

Jan 31, 2012 10:21 PM in response to mv29

Thanks, but nothing worked with my iPhone. There must of been something different about mine. It was an unlocked "4" which I purchased from the Apple Store in London, don't know just the only thing I can think of, since the US locked iPhones come in different design/guts whatever. The overheating on my phone was all IOS, phone was reset to factory with no extra apps or accounts applied; & set to Airplane mode with standard settings set to minimal energy saving. At least I was able to wipe it one more time before it overheated & went to the "emergency call" only screen (10 minutes tops).

Anyways, as this is my last reply on this topic, I retired the phone last month & bought an HTC Android.

IPhone 4 battery drain/overheating after IOS 5.0.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.