Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme - Is this a worthwhile investment?

With the purchase of an iMac I have finally jumped of the cliff and transitioned to an all Apple household. I was seriously considering purchasing either an Airport Extreme or a Time Capsule but it appears that a significant number of them have a shelf life of about 12 to 18 months. I know the lastest generation of Airport devices came out this past summer...is it too soon to tell if they've worked out all the issues?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 7:24 PM

10 replies

Nov 13, 2011 5:46 PM in response to Pondini

I can confirm that Pondini's recommendation is a good one.

I have 2 macs, and a time capsule. I've had to do a complete system restore before, and though it is not the easiest process, it actually worked perfectly. The time capsule is a very nice backup system, and the integrated airport works better than any router I've had before. That said, I got this stuff in early july, and have not had the opportunity to test the "shelf life" dbeman mentioned.

Nov 14, 2011 6:06 AM in response to Steve-Mac-

Thanks for the comments. There are some user reviews (both on Apple's site and others) mentioning that the power supply on these products, the Time Capsule in particular, tend to stop working between 12 and 18 months. I typically take these reviews with a grain of salt but there seemed to be a significant number of users with the same issues. At this point I'm leaning toward a Time Capsule; but may just opt for an Airport Extreme and a non-Apple external drive.

Nov 14, 2011 6:39 AM in response to Steve-Mac-

but still work not too bad.

Works for some users just fine. Works for some users some of the time and not at all for others. I've tried this 3-4 times over the past few years as an experiment with mixed results.

I'm in the "works some of the time" category. Backups do work initially....for a time, anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before I get error messages and have to "Repair Disk" using Disk Utility. This works for time before I have more error messages. Eventually, Disk Utility can no longer repair the backups and I have to start over.

Judging by the number of posts we see from users who are having problems when they try this, It's fair to say that this is not a proven, reliable method for Time Machine backups.

That might be why it is not supported by Apple.

My advice to users who want to try this method, is to have a secondary backup plan in place.

Nov 14, 2011 8:03 AM in response to dbeman

dbeman wrote:

Thanks for the comments. There are some user reviews (both on Apple's site and others) mentioning that the power supply on these products, the Time Capsule in particular, tend to stop working between 12 and 18 months.

Look at the dates, and the purchase dates especially, if they're mentioned. There was a problem with a goup of TC's made in early 2008, where Apple got some bad capacitors from a supplier (as did the makers of many electronic products). Those did have a high failure rate in that time period, and Apple extended the warranty on them, even paid to have the data copied off.

Since then, however, there's been no general problem. As with any product, a few will fail, of course, and a few will live for many years.

Airport Extreme - Is this a worthwhile investment?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.