Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery life greatly decreased after ios 5.0.1 update on iPad 2 and iPhone 4S

Really disappointing considering my iPad 2 battery life used to be great, lasting up to a week with no recharge necessary. Now my iPad battery life drops 1% every few minutes of casual use.

My iPhone 4S battery life under ios 5.0 used to be decent and could hold the charge well when idle only losing 1% every few hours as long as it was just sleeping. Now I am losing 10 - 15% every few hours when it is just sleeping. When I surf the net, I lose 1% each minute! This is with pretty much every battery wasting feature turned off except Siri.

I'm not sure how Apple managed to exacerbate a problem affecting tens of millions of people around the world with a fix that they've had weeks to test. I mean they could've just emailed me and asked me to test it before they released it to the public, I could've told you within a few minutes that it didn't work.

Apple consistenly have problems with each new iPhone release. They just can't seem to get it 100% right. The camera, antenna and speed have vastly improved over the iPhone 4, but arguably the most important feature has taken a nose dive in quality. I can't believe they marketed this phone as having IMPROVED battery life? I don't think one person will agree that that is an accurate statement.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 8:39 PM

15 replies

Nov 12, 2011 9:30 PM in response to fnkychld

I'm experiencing extreme battery loss as well since 5.0.1. Sadly, this update was a bad one. I've isolated it to my mailboxes, but can't fix it. I'm betting you have push on and when you open up your mail icon, you'll see the connecting wheel spinning and spinning as well as the wheel right next to your wifi or 3G sign on the upper left hand corner of your screen. I've deleted, then reinstalled all mailboxes. No better. I reset all settings. No better. I then restored to a backup from before the new OS release and it's no better.

I'm sure Apple will figure this out, but in the meantime, I suggest you make sure you've got push turned off.........

Nov 16, 2011 5:28 PM in response to fnkychld

I have also noticed dramatically worse battery life on my iPad 2 since upgrading from iOS 5.0 to 5.0.1. I have done many of the things I've seen recommended elsewhere -- turn off time zone settings, turn off push for mail/calendars/contacts, turn off Bluetooth. I don't go into airplane mode when the iPad is idle, but I should not have to do that constantly; when it was in iOS 4.3.whatever or 5.0 there was very little battery loss when the iPad is asleep, maybe only 1 or 2% overnight, but now it is more like 1% loss an hour. I accept that as granted for my iPhone 4S, which has a much smaller battery, but I would like to go back to only having to charge my iPad once a week or so. Any thoughts or will we just have to cross our fingers for iOS 5.0.2? Incidentally, my iPhone 4S hasn't had battery problems with either 5.0 or 5.0.1 and my settings are more or less identical on both devices. Hmmm.....

Nov 20, 2011 10:58 PM in response to fnkychld

Same with my iPad as well. Was concerned about updating because of all the bad press that .1 was getting but thought it was mainly focused on the 4S. Sadly it seems to effect all devices. Thankfully I did not update my 4. Long battery life was a main staple of my iPad but now it's horrid. I've dropped 2% in just typing this post. KNEW I SHOULDNT HAVE UPDATED!!!

Nov 21, 2011 4:20 AM in response to Weewax

Do you have wifi syncing turned on? Is your itunes always open?

There is a glitch with the iPad where, as long and anytime iTunes is open, it'll sync...like once an hour or some such rate.

Originally the wifi syncing was only supposed to take place if the device is plugged into power, but that's not the case. If I have my iTunes open my iPad will try to sync almost continuously.

So check your wifi sync and iTunes settings (my iTunes used to be set to open automatically when the device is connected, I had to change it to only open when I do it manually because in the course of an evening's surfing my iPad opened my iTunes and started to sync three different times until I turned it off)

If you have iCloud syncing enabled that may also be contributing to your battery issues. I don't sync over iCloud, I tried it but after it ate all my contacts, I stopped using it. However, if the same glitch is present, the device trying to continually sync even when not plugged into power, that could also be part of your drain.

Nov 21, 2011 7:24 AM in response to fnkychld

Wifi syncing is not a problem (my computer is not at home most of the time). I actually did a hard reset (turn the device all the way off by holding the top button and then swiping on the screen when prompted), followed by leaving it off all night while recharging it, and in the morning when I turned it on it was much better. Not sure if that was what fixed it and if the overnight is necessary or not, but the hard reset may have helped, as it turns off stuff running the background. I have heard advice recommending giving the iPad (and iPhone) a night off (totally off, not just asleep) maybe once every week or two, and I think it's good advice.

Nov 26, 2011 8:43 PM in response to fnkychld

I'm having the same issue  on my iPhone 4S after updating it to iOS 5.0.1. That's why I dont like to upgrade my iPad2 to the latest version  because I'm afraid that after updating it, I encounter this issue as well. The only problem for this is I can't use iMessage on my iPad2 and other feature for iOS 5 . Because I'm still using the older version which is the 4.3.5.

@Ziatron - Can you share us how to do that and if you have an idea on how I can update my iPad2 to iOS 5 only? 

Thanks in the future! 

Battery life greatly decreased after ios 5.0.1 update on iPad 2 and iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.