Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion and iOS5: Wifi suddenly stops transmission

I know that there are some threads about Wifi problems in Lion, but they all seem to describe a problem different to mine.

My setup:

• Macbook Pro (end 2008) and Macbook (Mid 2010) with Lion 10.7.2
  • iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0
  • iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0.1
  • iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2
  • iMac (early 2006) with Snow Leopard 10.6.8
  • Router FRITZ!Box 6360 Cable (kdg) Firmware-Version 85.04.92 (latest firmware available for this device)

The problem:

All Lion devices and all iOS5 devices suddenly stop transmission via Wifi, even within a transmission in progress. Example: I start the Twitter app on my Macbook Pro, the timeline loads, the profile images start loading, but not all images load, many remain blank. After that, no Wifi transmission on any program is possible until I switch off and on Wifi. Another example: I stream a movie from my iMac towards my iPhone 4, and suddenly streaming stops and I can't restart it until I switch off and on Wifi on my iPhone.

While the transmission broke down, the Wifi symbol still shows a perfect connection, in network settings I still have an IP-address, and even the router shows that the device is still connected, but not even a byte seems to be transmitted anymore until I stop and restart the Wifi connection on the affected device. And it does not seem to matter if the device is talking to servers in the internet or to machines in my local Wifi network. And: the iPhone with iOS4.2, the iMac running Snow Leopard, and even the Macbook Pro (that has these problems under Lion) running Windows 7 64 Bit do not show these symptoms.

I think the problem started with the end of daylight saving time here in germany (last sunday of October), but this may be a coincidence and does not necessarily have something to do with the problems.

What I tried to fix this (without any positive effect):

• Restart the router
  • switch to another Wifi channel
  • remove Wifi network settings under Lion and reconfigure them
  • reset all network settings on the iOS devices

So this forum is the last hope I have to get this really annoying problem fixed.

Regards,

Marcus

Macbook Pro 15, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 4 GB RAM, 512MB Video RAM. 320 GB Harddrive

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 3:30 AM

3 replies

May 20, 2012 12:23 AM in response to lorenzogr18

Hi!

I did not really do anything myself, the problem just disappeared. In the meanwhile there where some iOS-Updates and some firmware updates for the routers I had the problems with. I am not really sure if this was a problem with the routers, because I tested another Fritzbox model (7270), and with that I did not have problems.

What I do not understand: Why are two routers from two different manufactorers and two different types of firmware cause the same problems with Apple Devices and OSs? So I'm afraid I can't really help you.

Lion and iOS5: Wifi suddenly stops transmission

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.