Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW support on os x?

Why does os x give so many Raw support? I have only one camera, would't it be easier (less wasted space on the drive) to just have the RAW support for my camera and delet the rest?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 4:38 AM

7 replies

Nov 14, 2011 8:44 AM in response to Yer_Man

I'll try to rephrase that: Apple can convert dozens of different RAW Pictures for Aperture and iphoto. The Raw format differs from camera to camera and is unique to the manufacterer. Surely a hundred different RAW converters use more space than If you had just the one, that you need for your camera , on your iMac. So the question is: why does Apple include dozens of converters if one only needs one, which could be downloaded. Same as drivers for the printer: you only install the driver that is relevant to your printer .

Nov 14, 2011 9:02 AM in response to norbertmuc

Okay, because you know that first post read like you though OS X should offer Raw support for your camera only... 😉

The amount of space required for the Raw support of each camera model is minute, it's mostly entries in a database. You don't need to apply Camera Raw updates unless they apply to a camera you are using. They get rolled into the next OS update anyway.

So, a: you can't dump unwanted Raw profiles and b: you won't save any significant amount of space if you do.

Regards

TD

Nov 15, 2011 8:56 AM in response to Keith Barkley

OK, I take it that the myriad RAW converters don't take much space. Still I don't see why apple doesn't let me have just the one I need. Future RAW updates I don't have to install - right - but than it will always pop up and remind me there is an update available. Annoying.

As for the printer drivers: In Lion there are no default drivers, just links to OEM website to download the correct driver. In Leopard you had all drivers (more than 2 GB!) but you could delete the files.

Nov 17, 2011 6:45 AM in response to norbertmuc

I really don't get your point. Aperture is no different from any other third party RAW converter in this respect. They all support just about any camera on the market. If you change your camera or process some files for somebody else, the chances are that Aperture will be able to handle it straight away. It also means that Apple can provide one version of the program for the whole world instead of a separate one for each customer, which must keep the cost down.

RAW support on os x?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.