Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with importing .MTS files into iMovie with SONY HDR-PJ10E camcorder

I imported these video clips (as featured in the youtube link below) from a SONY HDR-PJ10E Camera onto a Mac using iMovie '08 (7.1.4) on Mac OSX 10.5.8. They import as .MOV files, from .MTS files

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXZPPt6oRXg

As you will notice there is a kind of flash in the sky as the intensity of the light changes as I am panning up the statue just as/after the women walk past. This is not there when I play the footage on the screen inbuilt into the PJ10E camera. It must be an iMovie importing problem.

Also, with the following beach scene, you'll notice how very overly blue the waves scene is at the beginning, but then the colour balances out correctly when it pans up over onto the beach. Again, this extreme blueness is not there when you play the footage on the PJ10E's inbuilt screen, or if you project it using the camcorder.

What is the problem with iMovie? Is there a way around this problem. I find it highly annoying I spent so much money for a good quality camera and then get a second rate product because of the Mac software.

thanks, Barry

<Edited by Host>

iMovie '08, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 4:56 AM

3 replies

Nov 13, 2011 6:26 AM in response to baz201

Hmmm, just tried playing the original .MTS files on the Mac with VLC Player and i get the same problems described above, whereas when I play the clips with my camcorder into the television via external cable, the colour and light problems are not there.... Something is not right with importing files onto the Mac it would seem. It's a shame Sony only really supported this camera with Windows based software....

Any ideas anyone?

Problems with importing .MTS files into iMovie with SONY HDR-PJ10E camcorder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.