Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

netbiosd blocking vs sleep dilemma

Hi everyone.

Recently I decided to block netbiosd in OS X Lion firewall because I don't need it and I consider it a potential security risk.

However, ever since I blocked netbiosd, Console started logging failed connection attempts to netbiosd (several failed connection attempts per minute) and this logging prevents my MBP from sleeping after a period of inactivity (set to 15 minutes in Energy Saver preferences).

Now I face the following dilemma: I can either allow netbiosd in firewall settings which would allow my Mac to sleep or I can keep netbiosd blocked and accept loss of automatic sleep.

My question is: is it possible to keep netbiosd blocked and have Mac go to sleep after a given period of inactivity? Or am I perhaps too paranoid about netbiosd and security - should I just allow netbiosd in Firewall?

Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 5:24 AM

1 reply

Jul 3, 2012 9:01 PM in response to Irakli

Using LittleSnitch I have received 3 alerts from netbiosd in the past week.

I have denied all of them after a cursory lookup of the IP addresses using various tools (whois, traceroute)

The blocked entries were:

69.70.43.102, port 137

82.186.105.146, port 47863

125.239.135.130, port 53659

Any idea why netbiosd is trying to contact these IP addresses? I would assume this is along the same lines. I'm getting to the point where I am willing to disable/block netbiosd to keep these messages from coming up, but I don't want to risk undue wear and tear by not sleeping.

I do have screen sharing enabled, but am always behind a firewall. <---don't know if this is related.

Lion 10.7.4, fully updated. MBP/i7 2.6/8GB

netbiosd blocking vs sleep dilemma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.