Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I believe the BATTERY DRAIN is coming from not being able to switch to EDGE in poor 3G reception areas.

I have two iPhone 4's and one iPhone 4s. Both the iPhone 4's have great reception and battery life IF they are manually switched to EDGE. This has been true ever since I've owned iPhones. I just can't get even fair 3G reception in my area. This leads me to believe that the phone's constant search for a good 3G signal is not only draining the battery, but not allowing me more than two bars at the most on the 4s.

The iPhone 4's work great when 3G is turned off with the switch that is now missing from the 4s.

Apple, please, please give us this option back. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 10:32 AM

11 replies

Nov 13, 2011 3:37 PM in response to QGrayson

QGrayson wrote:

The iPhone 4s doesn't have the ability to turn off 3G like the iPhone 4...even running the same system.

I understand that.

But for those of us that are forced to use edge to get better reception and battery life need this ability restored.

This is most likely a separate issue from the larger issue causing decreased battery life under iOS 5. The decrease in battery life seems to be affecting both the AT&T and Verizon/Sprint versions. Therefore, the ability to switch to EDGE can't be the cause.

Nov 13, 2011 4:38 PM in response to QGrayson

Allow me to add that the latest update helped my battery life a bit...but being forced to use 3G still brings it back down. On my iPhone 4 I had 60to70 percent at the end of the day. Now I'm lucky if I don't have to charge in the afternoon. There is indeed still an undiscovered problem that seems to involve many users.

Nov 13, 2011 6:54 PM in response to QGrayson

QGrayson wrote:

As far as I can tell my 4s never switches to edge. My guess is that it has something to do with the new antennae setup on the new iPhone.

@QGrayson,

FYI, my 4S switches to EDGE if I take it down in the basement and firmly grip both ends of the phone so as to attenuate the RF signal as much as possible. I live in an urban area quite close to a cell tower ( 4 bars of signal) so I don't see it fallback to EDGE in normal operation.

Regardless, I fully concur with your view that Apple should restore the ability to enable/disable 3G on GSM variant. I have found it very helpful to be able to force EDGE operation on my previous iPhone 4 when travelling (obtain more reliable operation in weak signal areas, prolong battery life, minimize out-of-territory roaming fees).

I believe the BATTERY DRAIN is coming from not being able to switch to EDGE in poor 3G reception areas.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.