Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiclip dilemma

I am working on a concert movie shot 35 years ago and never completed. My media files are digital transfers of old 16mm BW reels that contain all the footage from the three camera shoot. Each reel is one large file. The reels were not very well catalogued and the various film clips are all over the map. Shots of a scene from one camera are often followed by the same scene from a different camera. A real dogs breakfast. After much work I have managed to separate and sync the clips to the sound track.

I now have a mess of clips on three video tracks (that represent the three cameras) that I would like to make into three angle multiclips, one for each song. The clips often come fom one or two large files. Here is a screen shot of one song. (ignore the selected gap)

User uploaded file

My problem is that I would like to fill the gap at the start of each track with black(slug?) to maintain sync and I'm not sure how to do that. When I add a slug and try to make a multiclip with all the clips, I get some pretty weird sync things happening. Nesting the clips seemed to be the answer but FCP will not make a multiclip with nested sequences. I want to make some new clips that look like this:

User uploaded file

and that have all the clips in them still synced up. How do I make one clip from a bunch of clips and gaps (spaces)?

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHZ, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 12:42 PM

5 replies

Nov 15, 2011 1:00 PM in response to Harri P

Here's the way I work. I build a sequence with all the clips synched up vertically. I then razor blade to add edits where ever a track starts or stops so you have a series of vertically discrete sections. I then select and drag each vertical section of clips to a bin which creates copies of the clips with ins and outs that reflect those in this sequence. I then make a multiclip from these clips in the bin using in points to establish synch and then edit the multiclip on top of the vertical section. Repeat and rinse til complete. I then duplicate the sequence and delete everything but the multiclips.

If this isn't clear, post back and I'll try and make it clearer.

Nov 15, 2011 4:59 PM in response to Harri P

Harri P wrote:

I just read up on exporting the clips in each track as a QT movie and re-importing. I can see how this might work for me but man, is there no way to just add those slugs and make a new clip.

Not so far as I've been able to see... I often have to do just what you're proposing (for event footage with timecode breaks) and what gets the job done most quickly is to lay the cams up vertically and sync them leaving gaps, then add slugs ant output each cam in turn by just turning off all but one video layer.

If there's a bright spot, it's that all multiclip sync is a snap and that you can play with different cuts easily.

Multiclip dilemma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.