Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing a pair of OSX Lion Servers in different locations

Hi Folks,

I have 8+ TB of data sitting on various hard drives (yes I know its nuts). I want to purchase a pair of Mac Mini Lion Servers with the Promise Pegasus 12TB (6x2TB) R6 RAID Systems on each and load all of the data on both of them and then put them in differnet locations and have them sync/backup the files between them via the internet.

Are there provisions in Lion Server that will let you sync/backup the files between two Lion Servers automatically?

Thanks!

Mike Pappas

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 4:39 AM

I hope you plan to do the initial sync locally 🙂

There is no official Apple provided approach to do this, but there are various ideas you could consider. Firstly you are going to need to organise some means for the two servers to be able to communicate with each other over the Internet. A site-to-site hardware based VPN providing a permenant connection would be the easiest and most reliable.

Secondly, you will need to use some software on each server. A common tool for syncing two computer volumes is Rsync see http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/ man1/rsync.1.html

Many Mac backup utilities have a similar capability to backup to a remote host. Some use their own protocol for doing this e.g. Retrospect, some use standard FTP, some rely on you first logging in to the remote file server so it is available on your desktop.

Another different approach you could consider would be to use a pair of NetGear ReadyNAS boxes. These are self-contained 'servers' although not ideal for use for Mac OS X network home directories. NetGear provide an add-on service to synchronise two (or more) ReadyNAS boxes. See http://www.netgear.co.uk/business/products/software/readyNAS-replicate/default.a spx this also does all the hardwork of letting both ReadyNAS boxes find each other without having to setup a VPN system.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2011 4:39 AM in response to Radio Engineer

I hope you plan to do the initial sync locally 🙂

There is no official Apple provided approach to do this, but there are various ideas you could consider. Firstly you are going to need to organise some means for the two servers to be able to communicate with each other over the Internet. A site-to-site hardware based VPN providing a permenant connection would be the easiest and most reliable.

Secondly, you will need to use some software on each server. A common tool for syncing two computer volumes is Rsync see http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/ man1/rsync.1.html

Many Mac backup utilities have a similar capability to backup to a remote host. Some use their own protocol for doing this e.g. Retrospect, some use standard FTP, some rely on you first logging in to the remote file server so it is available on your desktop.

Another different approach you could consider would be to use a pair of NetGear ReadyNAS boxes. These are self-contained 'servers' although not ideal for use for Mac OS X network home directories. NetGear provide an add-on service to synchronise two (or more) ReadyNAS boxes. See http://www.netgear.co.uk/business/products/software/readyNAS-replicate/default.a spx this also does all the hardwork of letting both ReadyNAS boxes find each other without having to setup a VPN system.

Nov 14, 2011 6:54 AM in response to John Lockwood

Hi John,

Thank you very much for the response. The rsync approach looks very interesting. I would really like to stay with Apple hradware/software as the support is outstanding and it supports all of my macs fully.

I think I am going to need to find someone to help me set this up and make it work as I don't think I have the chops to do it myself.

Again thank you very much for the information.

Best regards,

Mike Pappas

Nov 14, 2011 7:38 AM in response to Radio Engineer

Just to add my two cents, the rSync way is very effective if you set up a rsync instance on both servers, as they communicate and just send the modified files parts.

the rsync man page is very well written, just needs a bit of time to check all the options.

You can schedule the rsync with a .plist file on /Library/LaunchDaemons

If you don't know how to do that there's a precious piece of software called "lingon" you can find in appStore. It will help very clearly to do that.

good luck!

Syncing a pair of OSX Lion Servers in different locations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.