Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best Video Card for a G5 1.8 (Single Processor): for Aperture 2.0

Hello fellow mac users,

I have a Power Mac G5 (Single Processor) 900Mhz Bus, 2.5 GB RAM, 500GB HD, GeForce FX 5200, 24inch cinema display.

I wanted to get Aperture 3.0, but quickly realized that my system requirements weren't up to scratch and it appears Aperture 3 will only work on Intel based Macs - so that's the end of that.

Never one to be discouraged, I found a copy of Aperture 2.0 and saw some good reviews about it, and checked the system requirements and it turns out that G5's are fine to run it.

I think the rest of my system requirements are fine; except for my graphics card?

Can someone suggest what graphics card I should buy? Perhaps a couple options in case I can't find them?

I am aware that my computer is getting older; quicker, and some hardware, and software (such as Aperture 3), just won't work on it anymore.

Nonetheless, I want to keep my computer going for as long as possible.

I have found the following video cards;

- Nvidia Geforce 6800GT videocard * 512MB DDR2 * AGP 4x / 8x connector * Dual DVI and TV-out * NEW (6800 gt)

- ATI Radeon 9600pro (9600 pro) * AGP * 256MB memory * videocard *

But I'm not sure if they will:

A) work on my computer and display?

B) work with Aperture 2.0?

I would be grateful for any suggestons.

Many Thanks,

Foginwater

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Power Mac G5 - 1.8 Ghz, 2.5 GB RAM

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 3:47 PM

That box definitely needs an additional graphics card to run Aperture. I seem to remember the Nvidia 8800 GT as the one to get (~$60 at Amazon) but you need to verify that it will work in that old G5 because my recall could be faulty.

HTH

-Allen

1 reply

What is the best Video Card for a G5 1.8 (Single Processor): for Aperture 2.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.