Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new Mac Air continues to disconnect from WiFi after going to sleep. When waking it up I have to manually re-connect. How do I keep it connected?

My new Mac Air continues to disconnect from WiFi after going to sleep. When waking it up I have to manually re-connect. How do I keep it connected?

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 4:36 PM

20 replies

Nov 14, 2011 3:44 AM in response to Navigator1850

Navigator1850 wrote:

When the MBA goes to sleep the processor stops running and all hardware except for the RAM is turned off.

It can't stay connected to your WiFi connection while it is asleep.

It should quickly re-connect automatically when it wakes up.

Jan 10, 2012 11:51 AM in response to Navigator1850

I had this problem too and solved it by doing a clean install. After that it was gone.

This is a drastic method since it takes quite some time to reinstall lion and all your software.

Thoughts I had why it started working after a clean install are the following:

It looked like the airport wasn't able to reconnect fast enough before the connection timed out. So what could have prevented my mac from being able to connect fast enough?

Apps that consume processor cycles. I love what I would call 'System Enhancers', little apps that enhance my workflow (Moom, Alfred, Dropbox, Default Folder etc). I'm not saying that these are the problem, they might be programmed processor friendly, but check if you have apps that consume processor cylcles. It might prevent airport from being able to reconnect quickly enough before it times out.

Mobile Config profiles. Another thought I had was that I had a mobile config 802.1X profile installed for the company were I worked. It used TTLS to connect to the corporate network. This profile might have gotten in the way.

And a sidenote...

Routers with hardware acceleration might also be a problem. My router is a Wireless Gigabit Router 300N WL-351 and has hardware acceleration. As soon as I activate that my wifi connection keeps dropping. It is as if a Macbook Air can't handle that amount of optimisation.

That's it, hope it helps those who are still having the problem.

Best, Jan

Mar 4, 2012 10:00 AM in response to Navigator1850

I have tried most of the suggestions except the clean install one. My computer was new, clean and fresh in July and it disconnected even then. The simplest solution that I found was just to not close the lid. If I leave it open and it goes to sleep it stays connected and I can hear it notifying me of incoming emails throughout the night. But if I close the lid it disconnects from wifi and I have to manually connect and manually "get mail" in the morning. It has to be a simple setting that I'm missing. I'm new to Macs but in Windows there are many options for what to happen when the lid is closed.

Mar 4, 2012 11:37 AM in response to Navigator1850

Darn, couldn't be that easy huh? I went through all that stuff on mune too and got no results. After the last update I now have my iMac reconnect by itself, which is better than having to do it manually, but before we got the bad updated a while back it stayed connected at all times, even while sleeping. We'll get this thing figured out and whoever gets it figured out might land a job at Apple as Top Advisor. Showed them what all 50,000 of their employees couldn't figure out.....LOL

Mar 4, 2012 6:18 PM in response to Navigator1850

I READ THIS AND WORKED FOR ME:

Yup, same problem as all of you. Airport not connecting automatically to my time capsule after upgrading to 10.7.3. I had a similar problem a while back. Apple said to delete 3 plist files in /Library/Preferences/System Configuration: com.apple.airport.preference.plist , Network Interfaces.plist , and preferences.plist. After moving them to Trash, empty the Trash. Restart. Then, open system preferences menu, then network. Click WiFI, then open the little sub menu to set service order, drag WiFi to the top, OK, Apply.

I COULDN'T FIND THE LIBRARY THIS WAY. I FOUND IT IN "MACINTOSH HD"

Aug 25, 2012 7:42 AM in response to Navigator1850

I was having this same issue with a brand new 2012 MacBook Air after updating to Mountain Lion and using an AirPort Extreme. Most times waking from sleep would result in a lockup as the system would continously try to find my network (the WiFi menu would just keep cycling). After going to 10.8.1 it still continued so I started looking at other possibilities. I noticed that the security setting on my AirPort Extreme (current generation) was set to WPA/WPA2. I changed it to WPA2 and the problem so far (2 days in a row) has gone away.

Feb 4, 2013 11:32 AM in response to Navigator1850

Hello you all,

I also had the problem of a disconnecting wifi while my imac was sleeping. I did not have the reconnecting issue after sleep, but the lost connection issue during sleep which made it impossible to reach my imac for things like homesharing, apple tv or remote desktop. I have a late 2012 iMac with a clean ML 10.8.2 on it and wirelessly connected to an apple time capsule (same as an airport extreme). My partner has a mid 2007 iMac, also with an ML 10.8.2 on it.

I tried every single solution I could find on the internet, such as changing the router's security from wpa2 to wpa, changing the MTU from automatic to manual 1453, router reboots, re-installations, re-configurations, keychain clean-ups, everything.

Eventually I solved my problem with these steps and now it works as a charm. I can still find the iMac with the remote app, even after 12 hours of sleep:

My time capsule router is set on automatic MTU and encrypted with WPA2 and I use the 5Ghz network!

1. Cleaned all the wifi passwords in keychain on my iMac

2. Created a new network location in system preferences

3. In this location I deleted the bluetooth pan and bluetooth dun connection.

4. In this location I changed the preferred connection-order to wifi on #1 and ethernet on #2.

5. Restarted my iMac.

Now I still have a connection when it sleeps and I can wake it to low profile using the remote app (homesharing) and everything works fine.

Hope more people wille be helped by this.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.