Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rating and play count metadata for iPad incorrect

With a manually managed iPad running iOS 5.0.1 connected via cable to a Mac, iTunes (10.5 (141)) is not displaying the proper rating and play count data of tracks that were played or altered using the Music app on the iPad during a previous untethered usage session.

I can set up a smart playlist on the device that displays rated tracks, for example, but this playlist shows different tracks when viewed in Music on the iPad vs. iTunes on the Mac. The iPad actually can see metadata that was set on the device and metadata that was set in iTunes, but iTunes can only see metadata that was set during a listening session of iTunes.

This is really screwed up! How can I slap iTunes into seeing the proper metadata?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 5:56 PM

7 replies

Nov 17, 2011 4:32 PM in response to Stephen Downs

The issue is still not fixed after updating to iTunes 10.5.1 (42) 64-bit and iPad iOS 5.0.1.

The only workaround is to turn off Wi-fi syncing.

A side effect of changing from Wi-fi syncing on to off suddenly ate up the free space on the device and gave warnings of a number of items which could not sync (on the iPad), informing me to see iTunes for details (which did not have any details). I found some ghost items from a previously cancelled sync session which I then removed from the iPad with option-delete, and suddenly an exhorbitant amount of space freed up, larger than it would take to store those items. Again, this is all on an iPad set to manually manage files with no video, books, photos, or otherwise set to sync. It definitely seems wi-fi syncing is a beta feature not quite bug ridden.

Jan 21, 2012 4:21 PM in response to Stephen Downs

Trying to deal with this issue several months later, I discover that all the music on the device is now gone.

With the iPad connected, iTunes shows a large list of thousands of files on the device in several standard playlists. When each file is double-clicked, the file does not play and the broken link icon appears next to the track. The playlists on the iPad itself show a very limited set of files, and they are all greyed out.

Huge data loss, and huge fail for iOS 5 and the iPad Music app. I am not a novice user of Apple's products (owned a 1st gen. iPod from day one), but this is about the worst bug I've ever seen.

Jan 21, 2012 6:47 PM in response to Stephen Downs

Sorry for not showing any empathy for your plight, but you have no one to blame but yourself. You've been manually managing your music, therefore, you are responsible for any data loss that occurred. Furthermore, only a novice would keep their files exclusively on a portable device, without keeping the master copies on their computer and a backup.

rating and play count metadata for iPad incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.