Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prints too dark - Aperture and Lion (newest versions)

Hi - relatively new to Macs and Aperture (Windows/Lightroom user).

I have been trying to get decent (meaning not so dark) prints. I have calibrated the iMac 21.5" using a ColorMunki Display and print to an Epson Artison 835 using the Epson ICC profiles.

And no matter what I print from (Aperture, iPhoto and Photoshop Elements 10) all the prints are dark - like they are underexposed by 1-2 stops.

First I thought it was an Aperture problem but then saw almost the same results from the othe two programs.

I then did the monitor calibration using ColorMunki Display - and to be honest there was not a big difference in the brightness, a slight difference in the color cast.

But the prints are still coming out dark.

Any suggestions please????

Steve

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 9:14 PM

4 replies

May 21, 2012 3:16 AM in response to swandy

This is nothing new; amost every time Apple changes Aperture version or printer drivers, prints out of Aperture go too dark.

Last time, I had a long discussion with Apple technicians, who admitted a problem, but couldn't fix it because they didn't know what caused it. AND THEN IT WENT AWAY!

Well, it is back again with me, so I willbe opening up the line to Apple again.

In the meantime, ingnore Aperture and use something else; I use Lightroom.

May 21, 2012 4:22 AM in response to swandy

This comes up frequently, regardless of equipment or software. Since you have the same result outside of Aperture as inside Aperture, the problem is not being caused by Aperture.

There are many things to check for. This post will give some ideas. After confirming that all software (including drivers) is up-to-date, the first things I'd look at are your luminance setting for the calibration (I use 85, but this -- like almost everything -- dependent on your work environment), and the display preferences for your monitor. See also this post.

May 21, 2012 4:41 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

You mis-read me: prints from other software are fine.

I have been here so many times before. You can search for me contributions to similar discussions.

My brightness is as low as it will go and the print settings out of Aperture are as high as they can go to try to get a decent level of lightness, but that produces prints which have bad contract. I know all about screen settings and profiles, and do what is neceassry. My profile work fine with Lightroom and Preview; it is just with Aperture.

Prints too dark - Aperture and Lion (newest versions)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.