Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Wifi after iOS 5 and iOS 5.0.1 updates

After the iOS 5 update, I had problems on my iPod Touch 3rd Generation with the wifi. It's grayed out and says that there is no wifi. I've tried everything, restores, resetting, EVERYTHING! So I went searching on the message boards, I'm not the only on with this problem. So I thought I would wait until the iOS 5.0.1 update to come out, maybe they would have fixed this problem. Still nothing. I know that this is not my hardware problem, so please do not even suggest it. I had perfectly working wifi before I updated, and I'm not the only one with this problem.

But if you have suggestions that have worked for you, please share.

I just want Apple to acknowledge this. It is a bit ridiculous. What good is an iPod Touch without wifi, its just a music player, and that is not what I want from my iPod Touch.

iPod touch, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 9:35 PM

50 replies

Nov 14, 2011 4:38 AM in response to krayla

In general, if following the troubleshooting steps here: iOS: Wi-Fi or Bluetooth settings grayed out or dim, does not solve the problem then, unfortunately, it is likely that a hardware problem has developed.

For what it's worth I have not had any WiFi problems using either iOS 5 or 5.0.1 on my iPod Touch 3rd generation. From this it's unlikely that there is anything in iOS 5 that is directly affecting your WiFi.

The last part of the troubleshooting document states:

If you are still unable to turn Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on or off after attempting these steps, contact Apple or your wireless carrier for additional assistance.

You could give that a try.

Nov 14, 2011 7:43 AM in response to krayla

I'm having the same problem after the iOS 5.0.1 update with wifi reception. I have an iphone4 and had it since it came out in June, 2010; my wife too. We never had a problem with wifi and are using a netgear 3700 which provided good reception up to 150 feet from the base. After the update, the phones only are able to get a wifi signal within 8 feet from the router. Oddly, I'm typing this on my iPad that was updated too and it gets the wifi from router as before. So the problem is just with the iPhones. I've done all the steps and the signal on the iPhones just doesn't work. Scheduled an appointment with support but not expecting much.

Frankly, between the battery issues and the wifi, I'd much rather have the battery.... At least I could just plug the phone in and charge the battery. Hope they come out with another update fast. I also read on another post that this not limited to non-apple routers as people with airport units have the same issues.

Nov 15, 2011 11:14 PM in response to krayla

таже проблема, после обновления через провод от iTunes iOS 5.0.1 нету WiFi (серый цвет кнопки) не активируется , 2 раза ставил updates , нету результата, до этого на 4 всё работало, советы от JimHdk не решили проблемы всё плохо. :-( sorry for my Russian

in can insolved bugs in iOS 5 please help!!!!,

thanks a lot

Nov 16, 2011 10:48 AM in response to krayla

I have spent hours on the phone with Apple care with the same exact issues. My home router is an Airport Extreme and they tried to tell me that I have hardware issues. My Ipod Touch 3G never ever had a problem until the ios 5 and 5.0.1 update. Now my wifi connectivity, if I am lucky enough to get a signal is slower than a 56 K modem.

I have done all the steps suggested in this thread and nothing has helped.

Apple will not acknowledge the issue.... there are too many of us with these issues for Apple not to acknowledge it.

I hope that this is remedied soon.... my iPod touch has always been more than just an iPod.... no email, now news browsing... no anything..

PLEASE HELP APPLE!!! I invested my money in Apple so I don't have these PC-like problems.

Nov 16, 2011 4:10 PM in response to krayla

I have an iPod Touch also, and after updating to iOS 5, I can no longer connect to the Internet.

I called Apple and we went through various attempted fixes, but none of these worked.

Finally, they suggested that I try it from a different wifi connection (I have mine at home).

I did this, and it worked. So I narrowed it down to my current Internet provider (Charter) and their wifi modem router. I have a rep from Charter coming over tomorrow, but it appears that the modem router needs to be upgraded or replaced to support the latest Apple software.

Bob

Nov 16, 2011 7:46 PM in response to bobnav123

Bob I hope it works and please post if it does. I had no problems with wifi until the iOS 5.0.1 update with my iPhones and they pick up other wifi after. I went through resetting router and iPhones and all suggested steps by AppleCare but can't pick up my wifi with router. I have the latest upgrade for router. I also updated my iPad to iOS 5.0.1 at same time as iPhones. The iPad, Mac mini and iMac all get the router but the iPhones won't pick it up unless in sitting within 8 feet. For what it's worth, I'm using same router at office and picks up great so I don't know what to do. Both routers set up same with same firmware. I had iPhones (4) for 16 months and no probs but now can't get them to hold signal at router.

No Wifi after iOS 5 and iOS 5.0.1 updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.