Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since IOS 5.01 on iPhone 4S my message alert tone goes off for no reason even when there are now notifications or messages waiting

Since IOS 5.01 on iPhone 4S my message alert tone goes off for no reason even when there are now notifications or messages waiting.

Prior to 5.01 I was happily using 5 without a care in the world but now this bug has turned up which causes the phone to play the message alert tone, it doesn't take the screen out of sleep mode, there are now messages new or unread, no other notifications of any kind but it just makes the sound.

It seems to play the alert every 5 minutes for an hour then stops for a couple of hours, only to start up again if you start mesaging anybody.

I cannot for the life of me work out how to sort it and I'm currently assuming it's a bug or hardware fault, seems to shame to take back a 3 week old $1000 phone for such a small issue but it's driving me crazy how it is.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 2:03 AM

5 replies

Nov 15, 2011 4:41 PM in response to adamfromorange

I have exactly the same problem, and it is driving me nuts (or to the point where I'm going to turn off notifications all together).

I have an 18 month old iPhone 4, never experienced this problem until the latest iOS 5.0.1 update. goes off at least once an hour, morning and night. Screen doesn't come on like it normally would with a new notification, I've checked for emails, messages, anything else that usually gives a notification, and nothing.

Very annoying at 5am...

Nov 16, 2011 1:38 AM in response to Frank Malloy

I tracked it down to a weather app (Weatherzone Australia) which was checking it's sources exactly 30 minutes apart, even though I had only told it to put the temperature as an app badge it seemed to like to "ding" to let me know it had a weather alert. The timing was more of a coincidence with 5.01 I think I now would have to say.

I found it at about 3am and it's been a full 24 hours or maybe more now so I'm hoping that was the problem. One a side note I had also deleted any old reminders in my reminders section too even though they shouldn't repeat every 30 mins I thought it prudent to clear them out anyway to be sure.

Thanks Frank for your help there and chris braddy try what I've said above for the reminders and just double check if some app is updating itself. It became kind of easy for me to track it down once I noticed it was exactly 2 minutes past 30 each hour, so it was 102pm, 132pm, 202pm etc.

Good luck!

Since IOS 5.01 on iPhone 4S my message alert tone goes off for no reason even when there are now notifications or messages waiting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.