Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to cross link/sync cells, where you can change either

Simple setup: I have a table with 2 columns:

Column A shows prices in EUR, column B shows prices in USD. How can I cross link/sync both cells, where you can change either?

So if I would change the EUR price (cell A1), it would update the USD price (cell B1). But it should also be possible to change the USD price (cell B1), and then the EUR price (cell A1) would update.

Numbers-OTHER

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 3:19 AM

4 replies

Nov 14, 2011 6:11 AM in response to peter976

You can't, for two reasons:

1) A cell can contain either a formula or data that you type in. It can't contain both. The only way for a cell to update by itself is via a formula but if you have typed data into the cell, there is no formula.

2) Circular references. If B2 has the formula =C2*3 and cell C2 has the formula =B2/3, what is the value of either cell? Neither can be determined until you overwrite one of those formulas.

Nov 14, 2011 6:39 AM in response to peter976

A formula change the contents of the cell hosting it, not the contents of an other one !

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 14 janvier 2011 15:39:14

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.2

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Nov 14, 2011 1:45 PM in response to peter976

Here is a simple set of formulas

Column B = where you enter the cost in Euros or dollars. Cells formatted as automatic. When entering dollars, precede it with a dollar sign. When entering Euros, leave off the dollar sign or use the Euro symbol.

Column C = the conversion rate EUR/USD. I used the entire column for this but you could refer to a single cell that has the conversion rate.

Column D = formatted as US Dollars =IF(LEFT(B,1)="$",B,B/C)

Column E = formatted as Euros =IF(LEFT(B,1)="$",B*C,B)

User uploaded file

How to cross link/sync cells, where you can change either

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.