Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook is falling apart.

So I have this (slightly) old, a bit beaten-up MacBook. Over time it has become more and more damaged, and for a while I have stopped using it, I still use it I mean, but it's just becoming worse.

I don't have AppleCare, and the warranty is definitely expired on this thing.

Every day it seems like more and more falls off of it (this morning I opened it up to get the latest feed from Safari on it) but the WiFi kaput'd on me, wouldn't see any wireless networks.

The display is completely fried. Not just are there cracks in the LCD, but the cable between the inverter and the graphics card appears to be destroyed. (Though, I can still use an external display and it works fine). Strangely too, the display has this 'in-theater' effect, where everything is completely blank on the top and bottom of the screen, It's seemingly narrowed down, weirdly. (Without ext. display!) Basically, All I see is a black screen unless A: I put the screen under (or in) direct sunlight. B: I use a really bright flashlight - this would get annoying. If I do this, I constantly have to play 'find the cursor'. Arghh!

Since it's already been dissassembled and re-assembled trying to replace the screen AND inverter board, I've just given up and left it as it is. This morning another someone large (small, but to me pretty significant) chunk of plastic came out of my MacBook again, while setting aside another laptop off of it. I hate to say it (don't take this too hard, guys.) I actually use my MacBooks screen as a stand for stuff, including my other laptops. Sometimes I put drinks on it, since it's already a useless display. (Hey, I find MacBooks to be really sturdy! Even the Pro ones!)

My question is, is there a way to possibly bring this thing back to life? It boots up fine, so it's usable, the Wifi is kind of sad, though. It must be when putting it back together disrupted the Wifi,or something about the Wifi cable is 'stuck' somewhere (I read about this happening to old PowerMacs, and even some Mac Pro's I believe) and that the solution is to take it apart again, and fix it myself. -_- The Wifi signal is really low, but it doesn't bother me- only the intermediate disconnects do. The cd drive is fully operational, just sometimes really loud. (I guess this is normal).

If I can possibly afford the fix, (And I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post this) what would the price range possibly be from? $20 for a cable? $50? $100-300? I'm hoping it won't be any more over $30 just for a simple cable, I really need to my travel MacBook in operation, I won't have an external display everywhere!

I'm hoping somebody can give me some heads up on this. Thanks!

Note: For some strange reason, my spell checker is not working in Chrome. It never seems to, only in Firefox. Sorry about any inconvenient typos or grammar errors! I'm not very dependant on perfection.

Cheers

Also; This MacBook was from about 2009-2010, is it OK if I use the MagSafe charger with it? This wasn't it's original charger, but it works, it just heats up the computer a bit though. In regular ranges, as far as I know, and the ventilation is good (the fan turns on, good).

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Intel Core (2?) Duo 1.83 Ghz 2.52 ?

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 4:33 AM

5 replies

MacBook is falling apart.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.