Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I buy an iPhone 4s Unlocked in an Apple Store?

Hello guys! I´m going to the US in december and what I want is to buy an iPhone 4s Unlocked in an Apple Store (like in Flordia Mall for example), it´s possible? Or the other option is to buy it online and pick it up in a Apple Store but when I tried this option can´t be made. Please Answer 😀

iPhone 4S, iOS 5, Unlocked

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 1:31 AM

I ordered one from the online store on 11/11 — the day it went on sale — and the delivery estimate is 11/28–12/05; from what I've heard, this is everyone's experience. Since Apple hasn't made any comments about retail release dates, I'd suggest checking the reservation page at the beginning of December. But, as of today, it only lists carrier-locked phones.

Just a head's up: per the warranty, you may have to send a US-purchased phone back to the US for warranty service, so you shold factor the chance of international shipping costs into your purchasing decision if you go this route.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2011 1:31 AM in response to YeyLopez

I ordered one from the online store on 11/11 — the day it went on sale — and the delivery estimate is 11/28–12/05; from what I've heard, this is everyone's experience. Since Apple hasn't made any comments about retail release dates, I'd suggest checking the reservation page at the beginning of December. But, as of today, it only lists carrier-locked phones.

Just a head's up: per the warranty, you may have to send a US-purchased phone back to the US for warranty service, so you shold factor the chance of international shipping costs into your purchasing decision if you go this route.

Nov 15, 2011 6:29 AM in response to jasomill

As further refinement on the warranty issue: if you need service on

iPhone purchased in the US, you will have to send the iPhone to a

relative/friend in the US and have them arrange for service. Apple in

the US will not accept shipments for repair from outside the US nor

will they return repaired items to destinations outside the US. You will

not be able to ship directly to Apple US for warranty work, so plan

accordingly.

Nov 15, 2011 9:34 AM in response to imobl

While this doesn't affect me, that's interesting in light of the more liberal Mac warranty policy. Not surprising, really, in light of business and regulatory issues that plague telecom, I suppose.

To pick a small nit, though: Apple should probably revise the warranty text. While the iPhone 4 warranty very clearly states the IMPORTANT RESTRICTION that

Apple may restrict warranty service to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the Apple Product.

it also features the boilerplate

You may be responsible for shipping and handling charges if the Apple Product cannot be serviced in the country it is in. If you seek service in a country that is not the original country of purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges.

which is moot if they require someone else to do the international shipping, importing, and exporting, thus a somewhat confusing thing to mention if it never actually applies.

Can I buy an iPhone 4s Unlocked in an Apple Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.