Skip navigation

iOS 5.0.1 and iWork apps

4590 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2012 7:40 AM by Fantatier RSS
SunshineKid Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 14, 2011 9:50 AM

As is well documented in these support pages, the best way to make iCloud sync your iWork apps across all devices and iCloud.com is to ensure you have set the "Documents and Data" setting to "OFF" (this is in Settings>iCloud); then ensure that the relevant app is set to "Use iCloud" (this is in Settings>APP).

As soon as I updated to iOS 5.0.1, ALL my documents in the apps disappeared but they can still be seen at iCloud.com; after further experimentation I can now report that if I leave my settings on my devices alone, then any document I bring into the app will still sync to the other devices. For example, if I bring a Pages document into my Pages app on my iPhone, then my IPad receives the same (edited) document a few seconds later.

The problem appears to be with iCloud.com as any files I drag into the iWork section of the site refuse to:

a) sync with the iOS devices and

b) download back to my mac

It seems that Apple MAY have ironed out a few bugs within the iOS but still have a lot of work to do with iCloud.com

In summary, I have found that after, "upgrading" to iOS 5.0.1, there is no need to change any settings on the devices. You need to work around the iCloud.com issue. To protect your files, keep copies of them on your MacBook/PC before transferring them to your iOS devices. I am transferring files using the File Sharing section of iTunes and I am using Dropbox too. The latter means I can be sure I have copies I can access anytime.

Having to find a workaround is not what I expect from Apple; you are letting your loyal fans down and I can only say I am for the first time ever, very, very disappointed in you

SK

iPad, iOS 5.0.1
  • mlaurencg4 Calculating status...
    Nov 14, 2011 10:09 AM (in response to SunshineKid)

Interesting theory but it doesn't work that way for me using iPad 2 and iOS 5.0.1.

With iCloud setting for Documents & Data off, all of my previously available iWork documents are gone. Creating a new one on the iPhone 4 does not result in its arrival on iPad 2.  I agree with the frustration over "workarounds" and add my voice to the appeal to Apple to resolve this soon. But I'm going back to Documents & Data On in my iOS 5.0.1 iCloud device settings.

Mike

• mlaurencg4 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 14, 2011 10:23 AM (in response to SunshineKid)

Indeed!  Nonetheless, when I turned Documents & Data back on, within 30 seconds all 14 of my iCloud docs (Pages) reappeared on my iPad 2.

Mike

• mlaurencg4 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 14, 2011 11:08 AM (in response to SunshineKid)

All works fine between iOS devices. However not so with iWork on Mac (OS 10.7.2).  For example, I just sent a Numbers document to iWork.com, using the Share icon at top of Numbers window. Successfully uploaded. Can see it online at iWork (using Safari).  However no evidence of it in Numbers on my iPad 2 (iOS 5.0.1).

Then I use iCloud to manually upload the document to iCloud (Numbers), and when I identify the document to upload it says that it already exists and do I want to replace it - however it is not visibile in the iCloud (Numbers) window. So I elect to replace it. All acts as if it is being replaced. Then, still no document in that window - and still no Numbers document in my iPad Numbers documents. 

Therefore it is my conclusion that Apple has not resolved the integration of iCloud and iWork.  But it is interesting that iCloud thinks it already has the iWork document.

• mlaurenceimac Calculating status...
    Nov 14, 2011 11:16 AM (in response to SunshineKid)

Correction to previous. There was a delay.

The item uploaded to iCloud (from iCloud webpage in Safari) did eventually arrive on iCloud and almost immediately afterwards on my iPad 2. Repeated this twice more, without any delays.

Thus, there is integration but it must be manually requested - nothing automatic so far.

And no obvious connection between iOS devices and iWork.

So, to get documents created on iMac to iOS devices, one must upload them to iCloud from iCloud webpage in Safari.  Does anyone have any alternative to that at this time?

• Sjazbec Level 4 Level 4 (1,665 points)
    Nov 15, 2011 5:58 PM (in response to mlaurenceimac)
    So, to get documents created on iMac to iOS devices, one must upload them to iCloud from iCloud webpage in Safari. 

Yes surely. How else should they go into the icloud ? Iwork for OSX has zero icloud integration as by now everybody should know. Microsoft Office or any other app being able to produce doc/xls/ppt also lacks icloud features. So there is no upload from OSX or its apps itself , regardless of what app you use to create iwork compatible documents. You might even use Openoffice and smash the files onto Safari. They will be as good as any other iwork-readable data.

Does anyone have any alternative to that at this time?

No.

• Yellow balloon Calculating status...
    Nov 16, 2011 5:46 AM (in response to mlaurencg4)

I had a problem with my documents  disappearing  from my ipad and iPhone, still being in iCloud but not being able to get at them after iOS 5.0.1. I seem to have had a conflict with my MobileMe account and the email address I set up in iCloud. I deleted the mobile me account and all the iCloud documents came back in iwork. I have since put MobileMe email back on and everything is working fine. Docs on in iCloud and iWork apps. I hope this makes sense.

• JJordanthesailor Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 13, 2011 4:41 PM (in response to SunshineKid)

Today I asked for and recieved a refund for the iOS versions of Pages, Keynote and Numbers because they did not work as advertised.  Would really like to use these but it is just not worth the hassel so I'm using QuickOffice pro on my iPhone, NeoOffice on my Macs and DropBox to sync them. 

IF ENOUGH PEOPLE ASK FOR A REFUND FOR THESE NON-FUNCTIONING APPS THEN APPLE WILL FIX THE PROBLEM.

• Michael Amos-Simpson1 Calculating status...
    Feb 20, 2012 4:52 AM (in response to SunshineKid)

Would love to demand a refund but unfortunately I use them too much.

Having spent the morning working on my iPad on a numbers doc I knew there would be some sort of hassle getting it on to the mac but this time it's even worse!

First tried to email it to myself..... never arrived.

Next tried to download via iCloud - version was incorrect.

Tried the solution above to force a sync - all my documents appeared when I turned sharing back on the iPad..... except the one I need which now shows as "Updating" in both iCloud and on the IPad and right now is unusable.

Besides wasting a load of time it gives me no confidence at all that my work is safely backed up which was surely the whole point?!

I find it incredible just how bad iCloud is when there are plenty of good examples that Apple could base this on. Having paid for Numbers on both the mac and the iPad I think its reasonable to expect this to work? Or will I have to pay out for new versions of the OS/App/Software just to get this basic functionality?!

• Fantatier Calculating status...
    Mar 27, 2012 7:40 AM (in response to SunshineKid)

i was just now shocked to find iWorks didnt automatically sync with the iCloud, its the single most valuable feature of the iWorks iOS apps....

ive just asked for a refund!

ridiculous...

what an oversight...

and what a disapointment...

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.