Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't copy/paste artwork

I am running iTunes 10.5.1 and running into not neccasarily an issue as much as it is an annoyance. I've been using iTunes for years, so I'm not new at this by any means. All I want to do is to copy artwork from an album that I already have artwork for and paste it to a song that doesn't have artwork. I'll give the perfect example:

I have loaded a mixtape of a friend of mines songs into iTunes. He doesn't have it in iTunes, and doesn't have artwork, so I had to upload some album artwork myself (Picky like that). Today I realized that I had missed one of the songs from that album. So I went to do like I always do, go to one song from the album that has the artwork I put on it, Right-click the artwork that shows up on the bottom left hand side of iTunes, select "Copy", then select the song that I missed that doesn't have the artwork, Right-click the blank area where the artwork should be, and select paste. Voila, it should be done. Simple as that. That's how I've always been able to solve those situations.

However, now I cannot do this. No matter what song I go to, I can right-click on the album art all I want and nothing happens. No popup that says "Copy" appears anymore. I uninstalled iTunes completely (was on the 10.5.1 beta 2 with iTunes Match) and installed the full version of 10.5.1, got the same results. Thought it might have been something I caused, so I went to a friends mac and got him to try the same thing (right-click album artwork and select copy) but he couldn't right click the artwork either. Apple Support told me that this function should still be available, is anyone else running into this issue?

Please keep in mind, that I'm not trying to get album artwork from iTunes Store. I'm just trying to copy artwork that I manually loaded into iTunes myself and cannot do so. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 4:08 PM

35 replies

Nov 15, 2011 7:57 AM in response to kce001

This is very annoying that they somehow broke it during this update. I really hope apple fixes this soon. I was in the middle of uploading some TV shows to my itunes and adding in the DVD cover art instead of it just having a screen grab. I updated itunes midway through and now I can no longer add cover art. This is really depressing for the "OCD I need everything in my itunes perfect" type people 😟

Please fix apple?

Nov 17, 2011 8:18 PM in response to kce001

this is ******* me off so much. why would apple disable a function that worked perfectly fine?

i used that option all the time to copy my album artwork into photoshop to make quick images for blog posts, etc.

i am actually pretty furious about this.

(my album artwork is all manually edited, hi-res and OCD-perfected. none of it comes from apple store. There is no acceptable reason that Apple should disable access to my own album artwork that i have scanned/edited in photoshop)

Nov 19, 2011 10:41 AM in response to kce001

Hey guys,

I'm pretty irritated by this also so I filled out a feedback form. I did find a decent workaround though. It seems that you can copy artwork from the Get Info>Artwork option of the song. Not as convenient, I know, but it beats fetching your artwork online. Hope this helps and lets hope they get it fixed soon.

Nov 21, 2011 2:35 PM in response to kce001

Apple is really doing a good job at screwing up user experience with iTunes. Firstly, wireless multimedia keys stop working. That gets fixed after 2 itunes updates.

Next the numerous wireless syncing issues with the latest iOS update. Still not fixed

Now they get rid of the ability to easily copy artwork from the artwork viewer pane. I would give Apple the benefit of the doubt, but it feels too deliberate. As if there was pressure to stop people copying copyrighted artwork...

Nov 21, 2011 3:57 PM in response to kce001

I've had the same problem. It seems that under some condition (haven't determined what), iTunes turn off the copy/paste functionality in the album artwork drag-to box. This seems to be a bug, in my opinion. I think I have found a circumvention that turns the functionality back on (at least in my case).

Select a song track with existing artwork, right click on it and then select "Get Info". Next select the artwork tab and right click on the existing artwork. You should get the copy/paste options. I've then selected copy (and in my case actually pasted into Photoshop, don't know if pasting is needed). Once I've done all of this, my Copy/Paste options are turned back on in the artwork drag-to box.

Hope this works.

Nov 21, 2011 7:32 PM in response to kce001

Yeah, same here.

"Paste" always appears to be available.

"Copy" is not.

I download "This American Life" MP3s every week and like using the old logo. *smile* I can't Copy/Paste it forward any more since the new version. I even rebooted, thinking there was something amiss with my sesion -- then I remembered the update.

Heading over to the more official complaint box. Doesn't make sense that this shouldn't still work.

Thanks,

JoeK

Can't copy/paste artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.