Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UPGRADING 10.5.8 TO 10.7 WITH NEW INTERNAL MBP DRIVE

Been trying to bring my 17' MacBookPro Core2Duo into the 21st century, but the lack of room on the tiny 90GB drive is making it tough. There is not enough room on it to load the new OS or backup my 16GB iPhone.

I have a blank MomentusXT 500GB hybrid drive ready to use and I would like to go from OS 10.5.8 to Lion. I have the Snow Leopard install DVD as well.

Can I ask for your advice on the 'best" way to perform this upgrade in steps?

I will have no problem doing the physical swap of the drives, but migrating my existing apps and files is of great concern to me.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 3:48 PM

1 reply

Nov 14, 2011 4:22 PM in response to NOHUHU

If you have an enclosure for the new or the old drive, I suggest using that for the new drive.. install Lion and your iLife apps etc. on that drive (while in the external enclosure), then perform the hardware disk swap. Once that is done, restart with the new drive in the MBP, then drag and drop files from the old disk (ued as an external drive) to the new disk (installed in your MBP); including your iPhoto library, and iTunes library.

UPGRADING 10.5.8 TO 10.7 WITH NEW INTERNAL MBP DRIVE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.