Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardrive behaving erratically

Hello,

Not sure what is happening here, but I have included a screenshot of my desktop to help identify what may be the problem. As you can see it is a scattered mess with the dock above, below and in the middle. Usually, I restart and all is fine for a while. I have performed disk repairs and get a mesage that the disk is okay. This seems to happen when I have Quicktime or an app that uses Quicktime (iMovie) open. Any ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks,

JohnUser uploaded file

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 5:15 PM

6 replies

Nov 14, 2011 6:59 PM in response to jrc362

That is most likely to be a display card problem.

Be sure the card and the inside of the Mac Pro has the dust blown out (most vacuum cleaners generate large static charges, and should be avoided).

If problems continue, remove and re-seat the display card.

The 5770 is a nice replacement card if it comes to that, and works in all models of Mac Pro. Drivers are in 10.6.5 and later.

Nov 14, 2011 8:56 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant,

Thanks for the quick reply. I usually use compressed air to blow out interior dust. Is that a good idea? Also, not sure where the graphics card is. I am comfortable opening up the Mac Pro as I have installed additional hard drives, an airport card, etc. but admit not knowing where the graphics card is. Any easily identifiable "markings"?

Thanks,

J

Nov 15, 2011 9:43 PM in response to X423424X

Blew out the computer this afternoon. Lots of dust inside. (That's what happens in this econmy when you have to let the housekeeper go and dust builds up in the room. Oh well.) Anyway, all seems to be working fine, for now. It doesn't happen all the time so we'll see where we are in a day or so. Thanks so much for the input, really appreciate it. Love the Apple Support Communities!

Hardrive behaving erratically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.