Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to handle iTunes Match with multiple libraries (one account, 5 family members)?

How would this work, in the situation below ...

Everyone has their own iCloud account (for their own syncing purposes).

But we (family) ALL share the same iTunes account (for purchasing).

How will this work, since we all have our own iTunes libraries?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 2:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 4:08 AM

One person sets up Match on their computer using the iTunes account. Uploads everything to match.

I would recommend waiting until that person is done, and do computers one at a time. No particular reason, just seems sensible.

Next person sets up match using same iTunes account details. Uploads their stuff. They will then see everything the previous user put into the system, unless you select "Hide music not on this computer" in the view menu. Previous user will now see their stuff too.

Rinse and repeat.

This is how it worked with my multiple machines anyway... As long as every computer uses the same iTunes account for the store, you all get access to the same Match account.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2011 4:08 AM in response to badtz

One person sets up Match on their computer using the iTunes account. Uploads everything to match.

I would recommend waiting until that person is done, and do computers one at a time. No particular reason, just seems sensible.

Next person sets up match using same iTunes account details. Uploads their stuff. They will then see everything the previous user put into the system, unless you select "Hide music not on this computer" in the view menu. Previous user will now see their stuff too.

Rinse and repeat.

This is how it worked with my multiple machines anyway... As long as every computer uses the same iTunes account for the store, you all get access to the same Match account.

Nov 15, 2011 8:08 AM in response to magnusbl

My wife and I each have an iPhone and share an iTunes account. We share a master music library but each manually manage our music on our iPhones. So she has certain songs on her phone and I have different ones on mine, both coming from the same master library. I'm trying to figure out if I can use iTunes Match. I don't want to see her songs on my iPhone. A poster above menioned "view only songs on this computer", but is that an option for my phone as well?

Nov 16, 2011 11:40 AM in response to mkbraden

Thank you for the info. Just to clarify, if I turned on Match on my iPhone, then immediately turned off "show all music" would I see only the songs I had on my iPhone before turning on Match? Would I then have to re-download them all from the cloud to my iPhone? I'm just trying to gauge how hard/involved it will be to turn on Match and keep mine and my wife's songs separate.

Nov 16, 2011 11:44 AM in response to wvu76

No, it will only show the songs previously synced and on your phone. Also for clarification, if you were to show all music, it would populate all the artist and all the songs in the library on the phone, but the ones you do not have on the phone would show a cloud icon for downloading to the phone. This will be the way to essentially use iTunes Match on the go. You will be able to look through your entire library and download a song you want to listen to at the moment. With hiding the songs, that would not be possible.

I hope this helps.

Nov 16, 2011 11:52 AM in response to mkbraden

So say I have 800 songs on my iPhone and 1600 in my iTunes library. If I turn on Match on my iPhone, then turn off "show all music", I should see only those 800 songs that were on my iPhone before turning on Match. Will those already be downloaded on my iPhone or will I have to fetch them from the cloud to take adavantage of the 256k bitrate? I'm not following whether Match actually wipes all the songs off the phone itself, only the ones with lower bitrate, none at all, etc.?

Nov 16, 2011 12:03 PM in response to wvu76

You will only see the "800" songs and they will already be on your iPhone so no fetching required. This is all under the assumption that you have already turned on iMatch on the computer and let it go through its process of matching and/or uploading. For songs that were matched and you know are at a lower bitrate, you can go through delete them off your hard drive and redownload them from iCloud. This will allow you to have the higher bitrate versions. For unmatched songs, you are out of luck for a higher bitrate version if it was a lower bitrate version to start with. Unmatched songs are simply uploaded to Apple's servers for iCloud purposes.

I hope this helps.

How to handle iTunes Match with multiple libraries (one account, 5 family members)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.