Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming using iTunes Match.

I have all my music stored on my mac desktop at home. Can I use iTunes Match to stream that music on my work laptop instead having to save a copy on the hard drive?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 8:12 AM

12 replies

Nov 16, 2011 11:59 AM in response to Hyperjoe1

I share your frustrations over lack of streaming. And this is more egregious than Apple TV because, unlike Apple TV where you RENT movies, you OWN the songs in your iTunes library. Ultimately, if you have a lot of music, Apple is forcing you to purchase 64GB iPads and iPhones (at a $200 premium) just to have access to the music that YOU HAVE BOUGHT AND PAID FOR!

I use the Amazon cloud right now, as it allows true streaming of my music. I have only the 16GB iPhone as I couldn't afford the 64GB phone. Apple needs to correct this problem.

And I'm tired of hearing that it is the music companies that denied streaming rights to Apple. That is false. As I said, you have purchased your iTunes music and it was solely Apple's decision to forego streaming. Apple's view seems to be that, if you want to take full advantage of the cloud, you must buy the highest-priced devices. No other company is approaching cloud service from this perspective. In fact, THE WHOLE POINT OF THE CLOUD IS TO AVOID HAVING THINGS ON YOUR DEVICES!

Sorry for all of the caps. I'm not yelling at you. I am just angry with Apple.

Nov 16, 2011 12:02 PM in response to sideee

On Mac, PC and Apple TV 2, music will stream. For Mac and PC, you can click the download buttons if you choose, but just double clicking song names and playing albums will stream the music instead of downloading. On iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, music will download and "stream" (aka play while downloading). While I would love the option to actually stream on my iPhone, it's just not there right now. Hopefully Apple adds it in the near future as a toggle switch in iOS Settings.app.

Dec 22, 2011 2:37 PM in response to bppump911

I assumed the thinking was that since most phones are subject to data caps it made more sense to download the song when played, thereby not needing to steam it every time. (It can be deleted from the phone to free up space again) Whereas on the desktop data consumption is not so much an issue therefore you can download or stream. For Apple TV streaming is the only option and works fine in my experience.

Feb 7, 2012 10:42 PM in response to bppump911

I agree. Since you can stream it to the computers, there should be no issue legally on the iDevices as well. The only concern is data plan usage on a cell phone. I want to be able to use it so I can have some music on my iPhone all the time, but others I want to be able to stream so I am not taking up so much space with JUST music on any single device. I would like to be able to listen to music on an iPad but I don't want it to download to the device because I want it to be more for videos and reading then I do for music since I already have an iPhone. I'd just like to NOT have to download the songs with iTunes Match in order to listen to them on an iDevice.

Mar 22, 2012 9:11 AM in response to sideee

I have a temporary fix.

I am using an iPad 2 so I don't know if this method will differ on your device.

Click on Settings ---> Usage

Under Storage there should be Music, if not then click on Show all Apps

Click on Music, up the top right there should be an Edit button.

A red delete icon should appear, if you use this it will delete all of the Music that you have automatically downloaded due to iTunes match. Clearing it from your device only.

I know that it's not a permanent solution as it will delete any music that you actually want to keep on your device and it will need to be done fairly often depending on your device space.

Streaming using iTunes Match.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.