Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gaming

I've just purchased an Airport Extreme and plaugged into my home network serving 2 PPC Macs (G5 and an eMac) and two later-model (2010) Intel Macbooks. I'm an aoccasional gamer and host online games (Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, CoD) for friends and this was a snap with my old Linksys, but for some reason I can't seem to set my Airport Extreme to allow hosting online games. Apple's online help is anything but, or has burined the information rather deeply. I'll admoit that I had ot ask the help of a techie friend (no longer around... :-( ) to set up my Linksys properly, so assume I'm an idiot when it comes to your reply.

If anyone can guide me throught the steps needed to set up my Airport Extreme to allow me to host online games, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks to any and all who might give me a hand!

Powermac G5 2.5gHz - 2G RAM - ATI X800 XT 256MB, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 8:58 AM

Hosting games to be accessed from the Internet would require that the host server either have specific ports opened on both the server's and router's respective firewalls OR to place the server in a DMZ which would fully expose it to the Internet.

For either you would use the AirPort Utility to configure the AirPort and use the server's OS software to configure the server's firewall.

To place the server in a DMZ (Apple calls this a Default Host): AirPort Utility > Select the AirPort > Manual Setup > Internet > NAT tab > Enable default host at: (checked)

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2011 8:58 AM in response to Jacques Daviault

Hosting games to be accessed from the Internet would require that the host server either have specific ports opened on both the server's and router's respective firewalls OR to place the server in a DMZ which would fully expose it to the Internet.

For either you would use the AirPort Utility to configure the AirPort and use the server's OS software to configure the server's firewall.

To place the server in a DMZ (Apple calls this a Default Host): AirPort Utility > Select the AirPort > Manual Setup > Internet > NAT tab > Enable default host at: (checked)

User uploaded file

Nov 15, 2011 9:06 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesserax,

Thanks so much, that's a very helpful answer... if I can i'd like to ask for a specification. Do I enter the local IP address fo my computer (as assigned by Airport Extreme) or the IP address of the Airport Extreme base station?

I am not running a server per se, it's simply launching a game app, setting up a game on my trusty old G5, then launching an online game via the game software, all mindless tasks before switching ot Airport Extreme, which for everything else is really quite impressive.

So, if you can give me one more small but of help with the IP addresses, that'd be appreciated.

Jacques

Nov 15, 2011 9:35 AM in response to Tesserax

Mission accomplished Tesserax. thanks, it worked like a charm and I'm hosting an online game right now! I'm assuming that for security purposes it's put the Airport back to the settings it had before adjusting them for game hosting? I'll simply do thjis every time I want to host a game.

Thanks Tesserax, you've been a big help!

Jacques

Nov 15, 2011 9:59 AM in response to Jacques Daviault

I'm assuming that for security purposes it's put the Airport back to the settings it had before adjusting them for game hosting? I'll simply do thjis every time I want to host a game.

Yes, as a Default Host, the Mac would be fully exposed to the Internet and, as you suggested, you should remove it from the DMZ when not needed.

... and you're very welcome! I'm glad you got it worked out and let the games begin!

Gaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.