Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does Match do to Apple Lossless and AIFF?

I have all my music imported as Apple Lossless. Will I lose quality if I use Match?

Thanks,

Ken

MacBook Air - 2.13 GHz, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iPad 3G (iOS 5, iPhone 4G S (iOS 5)

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 9:30 AM

12 replies

Nov 15, 2011 9:35 AM in response to Kenneth Epstein

Ars Technca reported that if your lossless tracks match, the iCloud version will be the 256kb version that's available within the Store. The ALAC tracks will remain in that format on your primary library.

For those which don't match, they also reported that the ALAC format is retained. Considering how long it's taking to upload my ALAC tracks on a 5mb/s upload connection, I sure hope it is retained!

Nov 15, 2011 3:22 PM in response to tomjtx

tomjtx wrote:

Your ALAC etc. files will not be changed on your hard drive.

This is the process Apple outlines on their website.

Yes, we know this. But the question is about what happens to that non-matched lossless file (ALAC, WAV, AIFF, etc.) when it is downloaded to an iDevice. Is it still the lossless file, at the same bit rate? Or, as Douglas has shown, is that file down sampled to 256 Kbps.

From the results Douglas is getting is appears that the downloaded lossless file is being downsampled and is no longer lossless.

Nov 15, 2011 3:34 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

Yes, that it what I said :-)

Itunes temporarily converts the file to 256 in order to upload it to Icloud but leaves the ALAC file on your computer HD.

When you play back from your computer where the original file is stored you play the ALAC file.

If you download the file to another Idevice from Icloud you will of course have a 256 file, which should be quite adequate for on the go listening.

EG, When I stream to my hi end home stereo useing squeezebox server through Itunes on my Imac it streams full ALAC files, not 256 files. And I am talking about files which were uploaded to Icloud, NOT matched.

I was very careful to verify this before uploading more than a few files.

I don't want 256 streaming to a 70,000.00 system :-)

What does Match do to Apple Lossless and AIFF?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.