Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use iTunes Match for 2 iPhones with different music, same account?

My wife and I each have an iPhone and share an iTunes account. We share a master music library but each manually manage our music on our iPhones. So she has certain songs on her phone and I have different ones on mine, both coming from the same master library. I'm trying to figure out if I can use iTunes Match in this scenario. I don't want to see her songs on my iPhone. Is there a way to only see music on my iPhone if I use Match or am I stuck seeing my entire library on my iPhone?

HP Pavilion dv7-3173nr, Windows 7, iPhone 3GS

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 9:52 AM

9 replies

Nov 16, 2011 8:52 AM in response to wvu76

This is exactly my scenario and what I came to the forums to find out. I understand that all of our shared music will be available to each phone, but I want us each to be able to make our own playlists right on our phones. I am unsure, from anything that is written about the service so far, whether each phone can act independently from the base set of music we have uploaded, or whether a playlist or song added/deleted/changed on one phone will automatically do the same on the other.

Nov 16, 2011 9:51 AM in response to sparta!

If have have access to the whole iTunes library from my iPhone using Match, how do I only play/list the songs I want on my iPhone? Say for instance if I want to shuffle all songs on my phone, which I do frequently. Is there a way to tell the phone not to use all songs in library, just the ones I choose, or the ones that were on my phone before I started using Match? If my phone can see my whole iTunes library I'm not understanding how it can segregate only the songs I want/had orginally on my iPhone.

Nov 16, 2011 9:59 AM in response to wvu76

Thats a good question. What I have learned is once I have downloaded the songs that I want to my iPhone from match. I go back to my iPhone Settings->Music and turn off the option that says "Show All Music".

Now I should only see the songs that I have downloaded to my iPhone and I Shuffle those when I play them.

Nov 16, 2011 10:15 AM in response to sparta!

I think I'm getting it finally, thanks for the clarification. So at least I know there is a way to not see all music in my library from my iPhone.

So in my case i have about 800 songs on my iPhone out of about 1600 on my iTunes library. If I'm understanding correctly I would have to enable Match on my iPhone, then turn off the "show all music" option. This in turn should leave me with my original 800 songs listed which I woud then have to download from the cloud. Once I have all of my 800 songs back down from the cloud I won't be required to download them again from that phone.

A worse scenario would be that I enable Match, and then have to find my 800 songs out of the total 1600 manually from the list and then download them from the cloud.

Which scenario is correct?

Nov 16, 2011 10:26 AM in response to wvu76

Your first scenario is correct. In your second scenario I'm willing to bet you could click shuffle on all 1600 songs and it would shuffle all 1600 songs.

The disadvantage is that it will play any random song from the 1600 list and download them individually as they are being played. Worst case would be you run out of space on your device.

Can I use iTunes Match for 2 iPhones with different music, same account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.