Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I reinstalled Iphoto09. Can't open photo library.

Due to being unable to print because "no themes" were installed on my iphoto program, I followed instructions on here on how

to reinstall from my ILIFE disk. After a "successful" reinstall, when I try to open my photo library it tells me I can't becasue

of changes I made to it with a newer version of Iphoto and that I should use that version.... I've never installed a newer version

so don't understand why it won't open. Any suggestions or fixes?

Intel Imac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 12:28 PM

This happens if your initial iPhoto library was newer than the one you are now using, so update iPhoto to the newest version (via Software Update, run it, it will detect all required files).

You may also copy that backup library and open it using the latest version of iPhoto on another mac. Do this with a freshly created new user on that mac, so that you do not mix up libraries, and thus get into other troubles. Note that these libraries are separate for each user.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2011 12:28 PM in response to Napamike2

This happens if your initial iPhoto library was newer than the one you are now using, so update iPhoto to the newest version (via Software Update, run it, it will detect all required files).

You may also copy that backup library and open it using the latest version of iPhoto on another mac. Do this with a freshly created new user on that mac, so that you do not mix up libraries, and thus get into other troubles. Note that these libraries are separate for each user.

Feb 23, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Napamike2

It may be that the Cattus Thraex response is appropriate for me - certainly my problem sounds almost identical. I am using Snow Leopard. OS X 10.6.8. I believe that I started with iPhoto 8.1.4. I have now, installed, using Software Update, what I believe to be iPhoto 9.2.3. I can't confirm that, because a command - i shows that I have iPhoto app - not very specific. But, when I try to open my 'updated' iPhoto, I get error messages "You can’t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto." and "You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Do you want to quit and use the latest version of iPhoto, or do you want to create a new photo library?

I reinstalled Iphoto09. Can't open photo library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.