Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Client user preferences and desktop items don't always load when logging into the server

Hi,

I've got an Xserve running 10.6.7 server and about 40 Open Directory users. A couple of times a week, one or two users will login to their accounts but none of their desktop items (files & folders) will appear. Usually when this happens their preferences won't load either. After a restart, or occassionally just a log-out and log-back-in, their files and settings will load correctly. The client workstations are all running 10.6.7 and they are all connecting via ethernet. Any ideas of why this intermittent problem is occuring and/or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

John

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 12:50 PM

5 replies

Nov 16, 2011 2:20 PM in response to johnmthomas

I have been having a varation of this issue all semester, and have not resolved the issue.

When a user with a server home folder logs in on some computer no desktop and other issues. If I log right back in on the same computer as the local adminstrator everything it there. If I log in with another student account the problem returns.

Looks like I have tracked the issue down to

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Directories/System/Library/Extensio ns/KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_i386.plist.gz

If I delete that file or all the caches with applejack the issue is resolved for a little while but quickly returns.

This is one of the most flustrating issues I have had with Macintosh server.

Everyting is running 10.6.8 with all patches and updates.

Nov 17, 2011 12:57 PM in response to johnmthomas

No know network issues, the only time there seems to be network lag is when 20 student log in at once. There does not seem to be a relationship between that and the issue.

I don't think there could be over 20 bad ethernet cables. They all worked just fine with older computer and 10.5.

I did setup all the computers using net install. Just finished reinstalling 10.6.7 on one unit. I will check it over the next few day. If that resolves the issue for that unit I will do it on all the others.

Jan 12, 2012 1:07 AM in response to grossfrommayfield

hello grossfrommayfield

same problem here with 10.6 client workstation only (10.5 client are ok) with user's home directories

on a 10.6 server (OD)

this pb occurs randomly : login process is very slow (we can see the only the Desktop wallpaper for a long time)

and after few minutes, none of user's documents are accessible

some news for this problem ? do you find a solution ?

best regards

Jan 13, 2012 12:28 PM in response to johnmthomas

I have found a solution!

It's not perfect but it seems to have fixed the issue and has worked without a hitch for about a two months now

Basically, since I'm dealing with networked accounts, before a user tries to connect to the server it would be helpful to know if they were actually fully connected to the network.

By managing the computers on my network through workgroup manager, I was able to change the login options and display a "Network Accounts Available" indicator dot as well as a message to all users logging in: "Please wait for the status indicator to turn green before logging in"

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Immediately after implementing the indicator and login message, users stopped experiencing login issues. There were a few instances where users logged in before the indicator light turned green, and THEY did experience issues. However, after they followed the login instructions, the problems ceased.

It proved to me that the computers' connections simply were not "seeing" or "finding" the server instantly, or at least, by the time that a user attempted a login. Open Directory is apparently authenticating and trying to login before the proper login settings for each user are available.

I hope this helps!

John

Client user preferences and desktop items don't always load when logging into the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.