Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro 3.1 bringing ethernet link down and up

Hi

I've just updated 3 MacPro's 3.1 and 4 MacPro's 1.1 from 10.5.8 to SL 10.6.8.

All the Macs have been runing fine until SL was installed.

Now all couple of hours the Macs are bringing the Ethernet Link down and up again. (not togeter it's random)

Here from the Kernel.log:

Nov 16 04:56:41 su09-23 kernel[0]: Ethernet [Intel8254X]: Link down on en0

Nov 16 04:56:44 SU09-23 kernel[0]: Ethernet [Intel8254x]: Link up on en0, 1-Gigabit, Full-duplex, No flow-control, Debug [792d,ac08,0de1,0e00,c1e1,7800]

It cannot be the switch! First it used to work for years with this untouched switch and cabling.

Second even if I leave out the switch and connect a MacPro directly to a server it still happens.

My guess is that the Drivers for 10.6.8 are buggy. Becaue the HW is fine. It can't be that all the HW is now all of the sudden broken.

And btw I have just bought brand new MacPros 5.1 and they do not drop the link. And they are running 10.6.8 too.

But they of course use another network chip and driver.

So anyone can confirm this or even has a solution for this mess?

Thanks for your contibution.

Bruno

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 10:20 PM

18 replies

Feb 16, 2012 4:01 PM in response to colbruA

I have a MacPro 3,1 running 10.5.8 Server (Leopard, Not SL) - but a similar sounding problem. Periodically my logs show link being dropped for a few seconds and re-established.

Also, I see about 3%-5% packet loss pinging the machine - and not only at times when the log entries show loss of link. Sometimes pings go unanswered for a second - more often 3-6 seconds; occasionally as much as 25 seconds. This is happening seemingly randomly, every minute or so. I've tried different cables, different switch ports, and both built-in Ethernet ports. Nothing makes a difference.

I'm considering trying a PCIe NIC instead - but was wondering if anyone had seen this problem, and then had it go away with a more recent system upgrade. I'm wondering if taking the pain of installing Lion and rebuilding things is going to fix anything...

Feb 17, 2012 8:43 AM in response to The hatter

I agree that it there should be zero packet loss.... all my other hosts have zero, including hosts on the same switch. In my case I tried different cables, different switch ports, both built-in NICs and manually configuring the Ethernet settings with and without flow control. The behaviour doesn't change.

The machine is 3 years old now. So yes, it could be a hardware failure somewhere high enough up the chain to affect both interfaces; but as originally noted by colbruA it seems suspiciously like a low-level driver thing.

In general the machine continues working fine - the network drops are generally brief enough to recover from - so if it was a desktop, you might not notice any problems. However, because I'm using it to serve an Ajax app that gets some brief bursts of intense connection activity, its causing noticeable problems.

I have a PCIe NIC on order; I am hoping that will behave better.

May 4, 2012 10:39 AM in response to colbruA

I see this same behaviour on my 3,1 Mac Pro. I have tried cables, switches, ports, manual IP addresses, etc. This was the case with 10.6 AND 10.7, both with fresh installs. I too have a network card on order to overcome this problem. I notice that this happens mostly under extreme load where all 8 cores are working and I am > 50MB/s in or out of the Intel chipset...but I agree everything points to a shoddy driver from Apple on this one.

MacPro 3.1 bringing ethernet link down and up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.