Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Expiration Notice on ATV Help!

My ATV gave me an Expiration Notice today. I tried restarting, but just shows back up. I can't get to menu to update software. I tried plugging it in and it doesn't show up on iTunes, so I can't restore it. I'm at a lose for what is left to do. I've used the remote to try to restore, no such luck. I can't find this problem anywhere. I'm not sure what software it has on it, but thought it was up todate. I run the beta iTunes on my pc, but installed 10.5.1 to see if it would show up on it. And it didn't. It doesn't show up at all when I plug it in. If anyone has an ideas, I've searched all over the internet, but nothing seems to help. It was plugged in with an ethernet cord straight to the pc when this happened. TIA

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 11:36 PM

9 replies

Sep 30, 2012 7:43 AM in response to uselessSABOTAGE

I have the exact same problem - it began today. I'm on a Mac, OSX version 10.8.3, iTunes 10.7(2.1). I was previously running the beta version of the apple tv, as I'm a registered apple developer. But after the ios 6 rollout, I updated all my devices (mac, phone, ipad, appletv) to the public version. It's been working fine since the update, and suddenly today it died. iTunes doesn't recognize the ATV when it's plugged in, either. I CAN however, stream to the appleTV if I initiate the playing from my mac. Double-clicking the media file and selecting the ATV as the output works fine.

Dec 9, 2012 12:48 AM in response to uselessSABOTAGE

You will need:

- A mac

- A micro-USB cable

- The Apple TV os (downloaded on your downloads folder, not beta)

Unplug all the cables. Then, plug in the power cable. Wait a while until the light stops blinking and then connect a micro-USB cable too (don't connect any other cables). Then, connect the micro-USB to your Mac and luch Xcode. Go to window>organizer and you will see the Apple TV on the list on the left. Click on that and then click "Use for developement" and on the notice that comes on your screen (asking a developer acount) click cancel. Then, click on the version of the Apple TV OS and choose "Other" form the list. Navigate to your files and you'll find the os that you have previously downloaded. Choose it and then click Restore. Wait for a while, don't be impatient!!! Then you'll see a notification on your Mac saying "Restore completed". Xcode will continue "waiting for device" but quit it (only if the restore is completed!!!). That's it, connect your Apple TV on a screen and set it up as a new device!

Expiration Notice on ATV Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.