Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have a dual 1.8 ghz pwer pc g5 and sometimes i put it in sleep mode and come home on my lunch break and the fan is running at full speed and the computer has frozen up...what is going on here?

and sometimes i put it in sleep mode and come home on my lunch break and the fan is running at full speed and the computer has frozen up...what is going on here? is it a virus or has my computer been hijacked? it cant be good for the computer...anyone ever had this problem..?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 1:38 AM

1 reply

Nov 16, 2011 12:49 PM in response to gary_owens

Your problem has been reported many times, but causes are as varied as individuals.

Can we assume that a hard shutdown allows a normal restart?

Can I assume that you have used Disk Utility from your OS X install disc to repair the hard drive directory? The freezes and hard shutdowns require that the drive be repaired (not permissions) or soon the machine won't boot at all.

If the root issue is software related, in Console (the application) under Logs, there should be loggings around the time of sleep and logs that tell you what process went wild and froze the machine.

Network activity is also a common casue.

Other info:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1776

If hardware related, such as an external drive, other USB device (Wacom tablet) or USB PCI card, ejecting, disconnecting, removing, or in the case of the Wacom, updating drivers, are all potential remedies.

i have a dual 1.8 ghz pwer pc g5 and sometimes i put it in sleep mode and come home on my lunch break and the fan is running at full speed and the computer has frozen up...what is going on here?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.