Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone4s can't use China Mobile's sim card after updating to 5.01

I've changed my sim card at China Mobile store in Guangzhou and it turns out that I can't even make 1 phone-call!! The staff told me that because there's problems or bugs with the 5.01 upgrade. Now I was forced to use China Telecom and everything's smooth like heaven. Hope apple will have an update for the China Mobile's user^^

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 6:04 AM

98 replies

Nov 16, 2011 7:23 AM in response to tambarton82

遇到同胞了,上海这边也有许多人出现升级5.01后的信号门,只能用联通,不能用移动。

苹果的这次升级简直就是欺骗,没解决电池续航问题,反而引发新的更为严重的问题。

I have the same problem after my updating ios5.01 in Shanghai,and I went to CMCC,changed more than 20 sim-cards but nothing could help.Sad.

Nov 17, 2011 11:34 PM in response to tambarton82

Same problem here in Shanghai. Tried 3 different SIMs and no success. China Mobile told me 2 things: there might be a new SIM coming out which will hopefully be compatible. They told me to check back in the next week or 2. Then a guy from the repair centre suggested trying different SIMs from different branches. The idea is that some batch might be compatible? Not sure if I wanted to go on a wild goose chase.

Nov 17, 2011 11:41 PM in response to bunnyhon

Technical support from China Mobile HK has yet to provide me any constructive feedback. But they called me a few times to understand my current problems. They claim they are referring to Apple HK for further update and checking the SIM card compatibility.

It seems that nobody has any clue, including retail shop, carrier and even Apple staff.

I dont think it is the SIM problem. Should be the iOS 5.0.1 and the carrrier connection compatible. Let's wait for 5.0.2.

By the way, China Mobile in PRC is offering 3G or 2G data service?

Nov 17, 2011 11:54 PM in response to Ahhuat

Same here. I went to 2 China Mobile retail shops and spoke to a genius at apple store yesterday. No one knows what to do. I switched from a micro card back to a cut card, still no luck. the cut card looks like it's going to fall apart now. It's so frustrating. Chna Mobile's 3G is not the normal 3G by the way and I was told it won't work. I use 2.5G edge normally. Am seriously thinking about switching to china unicom.

Nov 18, 2011 12:24 AM in response to bunnyhon

Tried selecting Carrier manually, doesnt work.

I also keyed in peoples.mms onto the Cellular Data - MMS under APN and MMS Proxy 172.31.31 8080.

Doesnt work at all.

Apparently iPhone 4s does not have an item for user to Disable the 3G On/Off under Network setting, while iPhone 4 has this option.

China mobile 2.5G works ok with iPhone 4s when you disable the 3G.

hmmmmmmm.........I am getting more ****!!! 😠

Nov 18, 2011 1:21 AM in response to Ahhuat

Now that you mentioned it it's true that the disable 3G option is gone on 4S! I thought it was just not an option as my china mobile card is 2.5G. Not that i think it matters anyway. Looks like we need to wait for 5.02 and hopefully it will solve the problem. I wish i had not upgraded.

I should think the settings you mentioned are for data. The problem is beyond that - i can't make calls or receive calls! The signal bar sometimes will say 3 dots (still can't call). It flicks to no service in 5 seconds. Then SIM failure! What gives?!?!

Nov 18, 2011 1:39 AM in response to bunnyhon

Under Setting > General > Network > Cellular Data Network, you need to key in the service provider net email in order to activate your incoming/outgoing calls.

e.g. for HK here, I need to key in under APN:

APN: peoples.net

You should check with China Mobile at your side.

I can only receive incoming SMS. Ougoing SMS failed since I updated iOS 5.0.1.

On the signal bar and call drop, I face the same problem here. Connection is not stable at all.

iphone4s can't use China Mobile's sim card after updating to 5.01

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.