Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Lepoard on a Parallels Virtual Machine on a Mac running Lion?

I want to upgrade to Lion but still need Rosetta.

1. Can I install SL on a Parallels Virtual Machine?

2. If I can, will it be able to run Rosetta?

Thanks,

Marcantonio

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 12:12 PM

15 replies

Apr 4, 2012 5:33 PM in response to shldr2thewheel

shldr2thewheel wrote:

It is a grey area whether or not it is a violation of Apples software terms of use to run SL client (as the guest) within Lion (as the host).

And you are telling us this information, because:

a) You also need to run PPC applications within Lion, but are concerned about the licensing implications;

b) You have no need to run PPC applications within Lion, but feel the need to confuse those that do with uncertain knowledge (your claim that it is a 'grey area'); or

c) It is a slow night on the East Coast and was hoping to find someone to chat with instead of watching the Final 24 on American Idol?

Apr 4, 2012 5:57 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

MlchaelLAX wrote:

And you are telling us this information, because:

a) You also need to run PPC applications within Lion, but are concerned about the licensing implications

Well, I'd prefer to do what is legal. See how Kappy pointed out that you need SL Server.

MlchaelLAX wrote:

b) You have no need to run PPC applications within Lion, but feel the need to confuse those that do with uncertain knowledge (your claim that it is a 'grey area')

it's not my claim only, there was a very long thread discussing this subject in a forum that you don't yet have access to.

c) It is a slow night on the East Coast and was hoping to find someone to chat with instead of watching the Final 24 on American Idol?

I don't follow American Idol 😝

P.S. -it wasn't any type of personal attack on you. Just something that others should be informed of.

Apr 4, 2012 6:21 PM in response to shldr2thewheel

shldr2thewheel wrote:

Well, I'd prefer to do what is legal. See how Kappy pointed out that you need SL Server.

it's not my claim only, there was a very long thread discussing this subject in a forum that you don't yet have access to.

I don't follow American Idol 😝

P.S. -it wasn't any type of personal attack on you. Just something that others should be informed of.

Now I could understand your concern if you did need to run PPC applications within Lion; but you did not answer that question in the affirmative. Or, I could understand your concern if you did NOT need to run PPC applications within Lion, but had DEFINITIVE information to share with those that do.

But to share with us some vague claim that it is in a grey area and cite "a very long thread..." that I do not have access to, only provides a disservice to those who need a solution to this problem, such as I did.

This guy has actually read the license and makes very astute claims about such use:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3193258?answerId=18039235022#18039235022:

Király wrote:

I've read the Snow Leopard SLA and there is no mention of it being a license violation. Have you read it?

All we know is that makers of VM software disallow Snow Leopard Client from being virtualized. We don't know the reason why, because the reason has never been made public. People have speculated on the reasons. At some point somebody speculated that "Snow Leopard client is not licensed to run under virtualization on a host Mac running Lion", and that rumour has spread like wildfire. It has become one of the most pervasive bits of Mac folklore ever perpetuated.

The rumour can be laid to rest simply by reading the Snow Leopard SLA, in which no such prohibition exists.

It's time to put the rumour to rest for good, and stop posting about it here in the forums, where this kind of speculation is prohibited under the forum's terms of use.

and, in answer to the question: "Would you mind elaborating on why running an OS in VM is specifically mentioned/allowed in the Lion SLA, but is not mentioned at all (that I could find) in the Snow Leopard SLA? " he also responded:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3193258?answerId=18039444022#18039444022:

Király wrote:

It's to allow up to three copies of Lion to be running sumultaneously on the same Mac (one natively, and two under a VM).

The Snow Leopard license allows only one copy to be running at any given time. One copy running is one copy running, whether under a VM or not. Snow Leopard running under virtualization on a Mac running Snow Leopard = two copies running sumiltaneously, which is not allowed. Snow Leopard running under virtualization on a Mac running Lion is one copy running, and as such is compliant with the SLA.

Why did Apple make this change in Lion? I don't know, and I won't speculate, because that's not allowed on these forums.

At least he brings specification and detail to the issue and not some need to share information for which you do not hold a knowledgeable view about.

I do not consider it to be a personal attack on me; but an attack on those who need a solution to this problem, and yet are cut off at the knees with idle rumor and speculation.

If you have something specific to say about the issue, we would all LOVE to hear it...

Apr 4, 2012 7:12 PM in response to shldr2thewheel

Then I owe you an apology! I am used to the usual parade of naysayers who spray these boards with misinformation, and then it turns out they do not even care about running Rosetta on Lion.

I am sorry to see that you have adopted the Dual Boot solution. Reminds me of how I (infrequently) ran Windows XP before I purchased Parallels -- what a pain in the a**!

I use Quicken too frequently to have to sit and wait while my Mac Mini or MBP reboots. Actually my Mac Mini is on 24/7/365 so it is always available to me, from whereever...

I am of a different viewpoint, but it is a decision that must be made on a personal basis. More importantly, I want to make sure that people in need of this solution know that there is a way to Virtualize SL in Lion.

Apr 4, 2012 7:31 PM in response to shldr2thewheel

shldr2thewheel wrote:

Reread Kappy's post: he points out that in addition to running SL Server in Virtualization: "If you are running Lion and have Parallels 7.x.x then you may legally run a single instance of Snow Leopard as a VM." This is a commonly understood interpretation of the SL SLA while running under Lion:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3498945?answerId=16751527022#16751527022

Snow Lepoard on a Parallels Virtual Machine on a Mac running Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.