Previous 1 2 Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2012 11:47 AM by Kathy Nell
grok12 Level 1 Level 1

I have have home movies in my iTunes on my iMac which my wife wants to import into iTunes on her Macbook.  Both macs have Home Sharing turned on.  She has my library showing under Shared in her iTunes and she can see my entire library.  She selects the item she wants to import but there is no way to import it.  It cannot be dragged and there is no Show menu at the bottom of the iTunes window as iTunes Help says there should be.

She is using OSX 10.6.8 and I'm using  10.7.2.  We both are using iTunes 10.5.

Please explain how to do this import.

iMac 22.5, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Safari 5.1 iPhoto 8.1.2 Time Capsu
  • Gino Cerullo Level 4 Level 4

Read my post in this thread about the differences between Home Sharing and Library Sharing. It should clear things up for you.

• grok12 Level 1 Level 1

Gino, thanks for the reply.

First of all the beginning part of your post doesn't apply to me since we have two macs without their firewalls enabled.

But the part about Home Sharing vs Library Sharing is great stuff.  We both have both sharings enabled and you say that HomeSharing should override Library Sharing.  But my library appears on her macbook as a stack of CDs which means Library Sharing is being used rather than Home Sharing which should be used.  Can that be why dragging doesn't work?

You are correct, the firewall issues didn't pertain to you. I just didn't want to copy and paste the other stuff all over again.

That is exactly why dragging doesn't work. Make sure you have Home Sharing configured using the command in the 'Advanced' menu.

• grok12 Level 1 Level 1

No doubt about it, Home Sharing is enabled on both macs.  When I click on the Advanced menu I see "Turn Off Home Sharing" on both of them.  So I don't understand why it doesn't work.

Did you use matching Apple IDs on both?

• grok12 Level 1 Level 1

You are very sharp, Gino!

So I removed the unwanted @mac.com from her Apple ID in my System Perfs - Users & Groups -Other Users and now on her mac my library appears with the Home Sharing icon under her Shared. 

However, on my mac her library appears with the Library Sharing icon.  But that shouldn't matter since I don't want to copy anything from her mac to my mac.

But unfortunately she still can't drag items from my library to hers.  I'm really puzzled by that.

So I went the extra mile and entered my account into her Other Users and now both macs show Home Sharing icons for the other's Library.

But she still can't drag my items.  I'm baffled.

Despite the fact that drag-and-drop of music tracks does not work do you see the 'Import' and 'Settings…' buttons on the bottom-right side of the iTunes window? If yes, what happens when you select tracks and hit the 'Import' button?

• grok12 Level 1 Level 1

No, the only thing at the bottom right is a "Choose which speakers to use" button.

• grok12 Level 1 Level 1

Excuse me there is also "Start Genius" and "Show or Hide iTunes Sidebar."

Here is a screen shot of what you should be seeing once Home Sharing is turned on and the remote shared library is select.

On the left-hand sidebar you should be seeing the remote iTunes Library with the house icon under the Shred category. When you select it, all the media from the remote shared library should be listed in the main iTunes windows. Along the bottom you should see the 'Show:' pull-down menu on the left side and the 'Settings…' and 'Import' buttons on the right side.

Screen shot 2011-11-18 at 2.10.36 PM.png

• grok12 Level 1 Level 1

I do not have that pane which contains the Show pulldown and the Setting and Input buttons.  I've looked through the View menu and Preferences and cannot find a way to enable it.

• gadgetmom Level 1 Level 1

I now have that same problem.  Did you ever get it solved and how?

• Godfather858 Level 1 Level 1

I had the same problem, and thought it was related to iTunes Match, but once I made sure to use the same Apple ID on both Macs, the problem was solved.

• kathleenfromprovidence Level 1 Level 1

I had the same issue and think I just figured it out.  While I thought we were in Home Sharing, and I could see and listen to my wife's library, I could not move items between libraries.  In fact, the icon next to her name and mine i the Shared column was a music note symbol, not a House.  So I logged both of us off and shut down Home Sharing, then logged back in and put home sharing back on.  We now have the House Icon, and I can move items.  Hope that this helps.

Previous 1 2 Next