Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Space

Hi, i recently copied my iTunes library as my iPhoto library do an external hardrive because i was out on free space on my macbook HD. I now want to copu back my iTunes library but finder tell me it as not enough free disk space even tough it's circa 40Gb and all disk info tells me i've 75Gb free disl space on my HD.

However, when i open disk utility it tells me i've only 33Gb of free disk space.

Where did this 50Gb of disk space go and how i do i get it back?

I'm using OS X lion latest version

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 2:09 PM

13 replies

Nov 16, 2011 2:59 PM in response to Csound1

I get that!

But shoudn't finder and disk utility agree on how much free disk sapce de HD has?

I will try those applications but does anyone know what kinf of files don't count for Finder but actually occupy it's space thus making impossible to copy back iTunes library? and once again... what those files could be? and are they safe to remove?\

Thanks

Nov 16, 2011 4:56 PM in response to BuckBanzai

BuckBanzai wrote:

. ..

did it do backups on HD?

Yes. It does that (on laptops) whenever Time Machine is on.

The space those backups use doen't show up in the Finder, because under most circumstances, they'll be deleted when necessary. It does in Disk Utility, explaining the difference.

See #30 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions for the gory details.

Nov 16, 2011 7:16 PM in response to Pondini

I would agree, but 44G?, leaving 33G free?

When I'm in range of my TM I have no use for local backups, if on the road, then its useful to me

Anyway, local snapshot was a good idea initally, but a not so good one in practice (originally the idea was that local backups would occur when away from TM, and that it woud sync with TM when connected. Apple was not able to implement this, hopefully in the future.

Nov 16, 2011 7:38 PM in response to Tony T1

Tony T1 wrote:

I would agree, but 44G?, leaving 33G free?

OSX will start deleting at 90% on a large drive, less on a smaller one. It can take a while for them to be deducted from the Storage display, unfortunately, as that's driven by Spotlight.

When I'm in range of my TM I have no use for local backups, if on the road, then its useful to me

Right. But if possible, you'd like at least some of the backups you made before you left, since the TM backups aren't travelling along.

(originally the idea was that local backups would occur when away from TM,

No, from the earliest beta, they were made whether the TM destination was available or not. (Actually, on the first few, they were on by default even if TM was off!) And there was a separate checkbox on the TM Prefs > Options panel. They refuse to bring that back (so folks wouldn't have to use tmutil).

and that it woud sync with TM when connected.

Yes, in the early versions it copied them to the TM destination when it became available. Took forever.

Other than confusing folks (they're counted by Disk Utility and the Storage display, but not by the Finder?), in most cases they're really not a problem. They do need to fix the handling when copying large amounts of data to it, of course.

Disk Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.