Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost master files in Aperture

I recently lost about a dozen or more master files. I do not mess with the file structure. All of the lost masters were uploaded to both facebook and picasa using Aperture's upload utilities. I was able to semi-restore the files by dragging the preview files outside of Aperture and re-importing them, but as a "professional" app I should not have to worry about losing my pics when doing basic functions like this. Any suggestions on cause and/or avoidance?

Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 8:35 PM

10 replies

Nov 17, 2011 4:01 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

@ Kirby,

I frankly do not recal what first made me aware. I my have been trying to edit an image. Whatever action I tried, I could not compelte and got an error telling me "no master file could be found..." or something to that affect. I then noticed a icon on the image that I later determined meant there was not master file associated to the preview image. I believe it was a small yellow triangle with a black arrow coming off it. That helped me identify the other affected images.

Nov 17, 2011 8:57 AM in response to adam1134

There have been some reports of this (or something similar) happening when Images uploaded to Facebook were moved within Aperture. You might search the forum for "Facebook" and see what turns up.

Did you try to reconnect the Images with the missing Masters ("File→Locate Referenced Files")?

You can filter for all Images in your Library that no longer have Masters using the Rule "File Status" set to "Missing" after selecting "Photos" at the top of the Library tab of the Inspector.

(Added) Note that the Masters are "missing" in the sense that the Image expects the Master at a location that is empty. It is likely that the location information is wrong. It is unlikely that your Master file has been removed.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Nov 17, 2011 7:20 PM in response to adam1134

Some important nomenclature:

- Image: the thing you see in Aperture's Browser or Viewer

- Original (file): the file you imported into Aperture

- Master: the file you imported into Aperture (or possibly a copy if you told import to make a copy)

- Version: a text file containing metadata and instructions that Aperture uses to adjust the Master to make the Image.

The Image = the Master * the Version.

Just to confirm: you created the filter and filtered all photos and found two Images whose Masters were missing? And a search of your drives for the Master by name didn't turn up the files?

Did you rename or move them?

Aug 3, 2012 5:19 AM in response to adam1134

I am in a bit of a pickle with problems relocating original files that were imported to Aperture 3.

I had the original files in folders in documents and I decided to drag and drop them into external Iomega 1TB external drive.. which is used in time machine back up.

I can see all my back-ups going back to the start in time machine, however when I look for ( relocate ) originals they cannot be found..

I never deleted anything and thought dragging and dropping was safe..?

When I try to relocate the originals it shows the external drive online however the filepath is shown in red.. see attached image that shows this problem

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Hope I have explained the problem correctly..

Thanks

Paul

User uploaded file

Lost master files in Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.