Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleCare for iPhone while studying abroad in Japan?

Hey guys,

I'm currently studying abroad for a year in Kyoto, Japan, and recently my iPhone 4 went into infinite reboot mode. I put it into recovery mode just fine, but now whenever I try to restore it I'm met with an error 9. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps on the Apple website - update and restart computer, using different USB ports, using different USB cords, even trying to restore on another person's computer, but nada.

I've got AppleCare coverage, but I'm currently very frustrated with the Support system. When it comes to trying to get someone to call me (I'm currently using a Japanese phone), or trying to find a Genius Bar nearby, I'm constantly redirected to the Japanese website which is /not/ the English support I am looking for, being able to understand very little of it. Moreoever, trying to arrange to mail my iPhone in instead has been downright harassment - I can't get to step three on the mail-in repairs section (the step after describing the issue and the steps I have taken to fix it) without it telling me "Sorry, no can do, transaction cannot be completed at this time" for no reason. My only option left is to call into Apple Support, but I am very reluctant to make a call without having any way of notifying them of the exact situation ahead of time to save time (and money), along with the possibility of just running into a dead end.

If any of you have any suggestions (or any way of flagging a Support Tech of this issue), please, let me know!

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 9:08 PM

There are no replies.

AppleCare for iPhone while studying abroad in Japan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.