Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to force to connect network drive using afp?

Hi There,

FACTS:

I have a Time Capsule 500GB with an additional 2TB USB HDD attached to its USB port. I'm using the internal 500GB myself but it has no importnace now, while the 2TB HDD is divided to a 500GB partition + a 1.5TB partition. The external 500GB is our Time Machine partition, two Macbooks are using it regularly. The 1.5TB partition acts as a network share (let's say file server).

SYMPTOMS:

I just realized today, that my OS X Lion connects to those 500GB disks using AFP, while the 1.5TB with SMB. Moreover I cannot even connect to the 1.5TB using AFP because of some reason. If I choose "Connect to server..." and provide the address as afp://TimeCapsule._afpovertcp._tcp.local/ it shows up only the internal 500GB (my own data) and the external disk's 500GB (Time Machine) partition to choose from if I'd like to mount any of them, but not the 1.5TB. I can connect to the 1.5TB as well however if I browse the network, but when I'm connected to it, and I check the "Get Info" it shows that it's connected through SMB (smb://.....).

QUESTIONS:

1 - First of all, I don't know the cause of is. Is there any network drive size limitations for AFP?

2 - How can I force a network drive to be connected through AFP instead of SMB?

3 - My idea is that since AFP is a native protocol for OS X, so it must be faster and smoother to use. Is it right or am I wrong?

THANK YOU AND GOOD BYE 🙂:

Thank you for all your kind help in advance, as well as I highly appreciate if you can enlight me about these... 🙂

Cheers,

L.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2), White, 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 2:00 AM

There are no replies.

how to force to connect network drive using afp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.