Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown artist bug in iTunes Match/iPhone 4

The artist for some of my music on my iPhone is coming up as Unknown despite the fact that I have the artist tagged on all the songs. In iTunes, the songs have an artist explicitely labeled in the metadata. In fact, on my iPhone, when I play the song, the headline says the correct artist. Yet, in the listings under artist, it says it is unknown (although it appears under the correct letter so Men at Work will be listed as Unknown under the M's). To make matters stranger, when I access the song in the playlist, the artist is properly listed in the small font beneath the song. It seems to mean that the songs have the correct metadata but that the app is, for some reason, having trouble parsing the metadata for the artist under the artist tab.

I've had this be the case for a couple of my songs. In some cases I was able to fix the issue by removing the song from my iTunes library and from the cloud. I then updated iTunes Match. Afterwards, I added the song back to my library and updated iTunes Match. In some cases this seemed to fix the issue, but not always.

I also am having strange bugs in my playlists. I probably should make another thread about this as well. I have iTunes Match enabled on my iPhone. I understand that this, for some reason, removes the genius playlist option. However, sometimes it will still reappear in my playlists and sometimes disappear. But, when it disappears, sometimes one of my other playlists also disappears. Very strange behavior.

These are just two of the bugs that I'm experiencing. Considering that we had to pay $25 for this, I'm surprised that iTunes Match was released in such a buggy state.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 4:47 AM

16 replies

Nov 17, 2011 4:53 AM in response to dbelk

Another detail about the genius playlist bug. If I kill the app and start it new, the genius playlist option appears at the top. If I click the artist tab and switch back to playlists, the genius playlist option now disappears (I have to scroll down then back up). When this happens, as I mentioned, one of my other playlists disappears with it.

Nov 18, 2011 1:54 PM in response to dbelk

I got around the bug by changing the name slightly. Santana was "unknown" and I added a space after Santana in iTunes and now it shows Santana on the iPhone. You can't see the space and can still search for Santana so it isn't a huge sacrifice. Interestingly enough if I put it back to original name without the space then it comes back as Unknown. It only has the issue on the iPhone and not on my other computers with iTunes.

Nov 21, 2011 4:02 PM in response to SlyAdept

I think simply adding the artist to album artist fixed the issue for me. To sync, you may have to deselect the song (assuming you are using the automatic sync), sync, re-select the song, and sync again. I didn't try your approach, but perhaps some others will find it useful if they happen upon this thread.

This is a bug because it's not supposed to be this way. Not sure if the iTunes guys are aware of it.

Nov 22, 2011 9:09 AM in response to dbelk

I tried simply adding the artist name to album artist field and updating and all, didn't work. What did work, without any real work was I simply changed the name for the artist (in artist view), and added a space 1, let iCloud sync up with Match right there not just a few seconds after changing it, then changed it back and took the space and 1 off and they were then updated correctly with the right artist name.

Dec 19, 2011 11:46 PM in response to dbelk

Any update on this? It has been giving me problems as well all of a sudden (today). The songs I am trying to import (my band) have ALL the info filled out and showing in iTunes, but I can ONLY find them by track name only on my iphone, nothing shows up under artist. Nothing has changed on my computer.

Feb 25, 2012 5:43 AM in response to dbelk

I had this exact same unknown artist issue and managed to fix it. Unfortunately I did a bunch of things all at the same time - I don't know if it was just one of them, or the combination of all, that made it work.

Here's what I did:

1. Disable iTunes Match on my mac
  2. Reboot my mac
  3. Backup and restore my iPhone using iTunes
  4. Resync my iPhone to reload all my music

Painful, probably over the top, shouldn't be necessary, but it worked.

May 30, 2012 3:24 AM in response to TomDac

I don't think this is the solution. I like the "Group by Album Artist" because it's very useful.

In my previous iPhone 4 it worked well with no problem. My iPad can also handle all artists, but the new iPhone 4 (about week old) shows about 10% of unknown artists (Aerosmith, The Beatles, etc.). There must be some problem on iCloud. Hopefully Apple will fix it soon.

Unknown artist bug in iTunes Match/iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.