Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set up iCloud with Mail 2.1.3?

I migrated my e-mail across from MobileMe to iCloud earlier today, using my work computer which runs 10.6, and was able to access my e-mail via Firefox and the iCloud website. I am now at home attempting to check my e-mail using Mail 2.1.3 on OS X 10.4.11 and the server has rejected my login, and doesn't seem to want to let me change the account settings. I tried adding a new e-mail account in Mail using the information at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864 but when entering the IMAP details I get the message 'Trying to log into the IMAP server “imap.mail.me.com” has failed. Please make sure the username and password are correct. If you continue, you may not be able to receive any email.'

1. Is it possible to access iCloud mail using Mail 2.13

2. and if so, how do I set it up?

Thank you!

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 11:49 AM

14 replies

Nov 17, 2011 12:33 PM in response to alistair2009

I migrated my e-mail across from MobileMe to iCloud earlier today, using my work computer which runs 10.6

iCloud requires a Mac running Lion v10.7.2.

I am now at home attempting to check my e-mail using Mail 2.1.3 on OS X 10.4.11

iCloud cannot be enabled on a Mac running v10.4.11.

Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

Nov 17, 2011 1:06 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks - but to be clear all I want to do is to check my e-mail, and I have succeeded in doing this on a Mac running 10.6 using Firefox and the iCloud website, so clearly one doesn't have to have 10.7 to do that. I don't use iCal or Address Book or want to sync those.

Is there really no way of getting Apple Mail 2.1.3 to check my e-mail? It worked fine with MobileMe and the address hasn't changed. It is very frustrating to have paid for a service that now does not work.

thanks

Nov 17, 2011 1:08 PM in response to alistair2009

alistair2009 wrote:

Thanks - but to be clear all I want to do is to check my e-mail, and I have succeeded in doing this on a Mac running 10.6 using Firefox and the iCloud website, so clearly one doesn't have to have 10.7 to do that. I don't use iCal or Address Book or want to sync those.

Is there really no way of getting Apple Mail 2.1.3 to check my e-mail? It worked fine with MobileMe and the address hasn't changed. It is very frustrating to have paid for a service that now does not work.

thanks

Here are the server addresses for iCloud mail, I have no idea whether this will work but it can't hurt:

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2011 1:19 PM in response to Csound1

Thanks for the addresses. Tried adding a new account, but as soon as I put in the IMAP address I get straight away:

The IMAP server “p03-imap.mail.me.com:993” is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the “Incoming Mail Server” field. If it still doesn’t respond, the server might be temporarily unavailable.

If you continue, you may not be able to receive any email.

:-(

Nov 17, 2011 1:19 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

If I was to set up an iClod account using Windows 7 Professional, couldn't I have messages forwarded to the email programs on my Macs as I do now?

That is, not use webmail or any browser at all.

At this moment, I do not use webmail. Nor do I have any use for it.

If that isn't possible, does it mean that even if I do happen to have an iClod account, none of my non Lion Macs will in any way at all, be able the receive and send email? Therefore rendering all 6 of my Macs to the landfill?

Nov 17, 2011 11:54 PM in response to Csound1

Thanks for the tips, but no joy I am afraid. I guess I am going to have to accept that Mail will not display my @me.com messages any more, and that as my iMac is too old I can't check them via icloud.com either.

I think I may be able to forward the messages to my work e-mail, which Mail can check, so I will do that and will consider whether I should leave me.com/iCloud. It's a pity as I have been with the service since the dotmac days and chose it on the basis that I thought it would best integrate with my Mac.

Nov 18, 2011 12:08 AM in response to alistair2009

Try resetting your AppleID (@me.com or @mac.com address) at http://appleid.apple.com/

Then try setting the account up using the server details in the Apple support article.

Apple have recently required that passwords are more secure and sometimes if an existing password doesn't meet Apple's new password requirements it needs resetting.

Alternatively, just access iCloud email from a browser on your Tiger Mac, as you do at work.

Incidentally, you haven't paid for iCloud - it is a free service. MobileMe was the paid service.

Nov 18, 2011 1:33 AM in response to Julian Wright

Thanks Julian. Is there a browser for Tiger that will work with icloud.com? I run Firefox 3.6.23 which I understood to be the last release that works on 10.4, but that gives an 'unsupported browser' message. Opera 10 will let me log in but then crashes. Safari 4 just hangs after log in.

I appreciate that icloud is free but I did pay for MobileMe and having had an e-mail this week from Apple suggesting that I migrate I didn't expect that I'd be told to do it if it wasn't going to work very well!

Nov 18, 2011 2:07 AM in response to alistair2009

Is there a browser for Tiger that will work with icloud.com?

Try TenFourFox which is an independent build of later versions of Firefox, especially for older computers:

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

Or use the latest version of Firefox for your Mac in conjunction with the "User Agent Switcher 0.7.3" Add-on and use it to change the browser user agent to:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0

Seems to work ok.

Nov 18, 2011 3:40 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks both for your replies. The SSL box is ticked for incoming and outgoing in Mail already. When I try to set up a new account to check in Mail, the system tells me it can't log in as soon as I click 'continue' after I have input the IMAP server address + my username and password. So I don't even get as far as the option to use SSL or not...

As for TenFourFox, this is very helpful and seems a noticeable improvement generally over Firefox 3.6.

Clearly I am going to have to save the pennies for a new iMac in 2012!

Nov 25, 2011 6:25 PM in response to alistair2009

Hi,

I came across the same problem when I tried to setup my me mail converted to iCloud on my old iMac running Tiger and found success in setting it up using the full email address for the username (username@me.com). I remembered that the iCloud services I've used so far require the full address for the username while the Me services just needed the handle. Additionally, the server I used was imap.mail.me.com, with the IMAP type mail server setting. It works for me, and maybe it'll work for you too.

Good luck!

Set up iCloud with Mail 2.1.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.