Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix error despite Silverlight update and correct browser settings?

I've got an older MacBook Pro (OS 10.5.8), and just tried to join Netflix but can't get Silverlight to work (I keep getting error N8010). I've reinstalled the most recent iteration of Silverlight (Netflix also won't let me run on the old Silverlight) and checked browser settings on Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. Are there some other settings I should be checking? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 2:06 PM

6 replies

Dec 27, 2011 4:31 PM in response to thanksforthehelp

I'm in the same boat. Safari 5.1 on 10.6.8. I keep getting N8010. Don't have Private Browsing enabled. Same error with Chrome. I have no experience with Silverlight, so I used Spotlight to search for it on my MacBook Pro. The only hit is a plug-in in the Internet Plug-ins folder. It's version 4.0.60531.0. That may not be the latest, and I have no idea how to update it. But from the two postings above, it sounds like it would make no difference even if I did update it.

Nov 6, 2012 9:32 AM in response to thanksforthehelp

Same problem exactly in Safari with Silverlight/Netflix. I too get error message N8010, and per Microsoft have the latest version of Silverlight. Netflix is useless--no clue when I chatted with them on a couple of occasions. I personally don't like loading more than I need and Safari has been okay, but I had to go to Google Chrome, which does allow me access to Netflix. Now I use Chrome ONLY for Netflix, since I don't like how Google seems to need to know everything about me. Man are they invasive and Gmail is bad enough. But, until Apple in collusion with Netflix gets this problem with Safari on Snow Leopard ironed out there appears to be no choice but to get another browser or two. Clearly, neither is interested in fixing the problem and I'm wondering too if it might have to do with whichever outfit is carrying Netflix. I think it used to be Akamai, but that might not be true now. Netflix ought contract with an outfit that has their act together. Netflix got cheap: Remember when Netflix was going to raise prices for streaming? Then didn't due to outcry from customers. Upshot perhaps: Silverlight not working with Safari and more and more bad movies, one might add. It's impossible to email Netflix with any complaint and techs can only suggest using a different browser.

If/when worse comes to even worse, I can log into Windows in Bootcamp and use IE8, which is always compatible with Silverlight. But that's a pain--rebooting all the time.

Anyway, no answers I've found for Safari with respect to Silverlight and Netflix failing to work.

Nov 6, 2012 10:17 AM in response to CFS88

CFS88 wrote:

....this problem with Safari on Snow Leopard ironed out there appears to be no choice but to get another browser or two.

Exactly, Apple didn't release Safari 6 for 10.6 users, so for security reasons alone you need to use another browser.

I don't recommend Chrome as they install a root level updater that requires removing all their software and the updater to get rid of it, Firefox would be the better choice.

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Nov 13, 2012 11:25 AM in response to ds store

Thanks for info, ds store. Wish I'd known about Chrome, however. I should have, knowing already how intrusive they are (just check gmail on that count. They want to know everything!).

I have to say also that I don't understand why Apple can't update Safari for all it's recent platforms instead of just for one, whichever is latest. Doing that leaves customers who don't want or need to update platforms high and dry with respect to Apple's own browser. I could run IE8 with Windows 98 if I had to. As it is, I run it with XP, by now several generations old. So one for Microsoft and zip for Apple on that count.

ds store wrote:

I don't recommend Chrome as they install a root level updater that requires removing all their software and the updater to get rid of it, Firefox would be the better choice.

Having installed Chrome, as you know, can you tell me whether or not Mac Keeper would do the job of removal? I have that too, and they sort of lay claim to being able to remove all pieces of programs/apps in one easy move. Course I'm skeptical. Assuming "no" for an answer, is there someplace I can look at that gives step-by-step instructions on how thoroughly to be rid of Chrome? I also gather that simply dropping the App in the Trash won't work either, at least not to be thoroughly rid of any app really?

Netflix error despite Silverlight update and correct browser settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.