Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling "Check for Updates" via registry

I'm trying to edit the registry to prevent itunes from checking for updates. I've followed the instructions at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2102 to add the AdminFlags key and the values listed. We're trying to do this on Windows 7 x64 bit machines. After the changes are made, we reopen itunes and go to "check for Updtates" and it still works. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Help on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Itunes 10.5.1-OTHER

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 6:40 AM

I figured this out eventually and its actually pretty simple. You create the adminflags DWRORD 32-bit value under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Apple Computer, Inc.\iTunes\Parental Controls\Default" and simply add the decimal value of all of the controls that you wish to have.

Fo instance if you want to disable updates and lock the parental controls so only admins can change them, you would enter 257 for the DWORD value (The sum of kParentalFlags_DisableCheckForUpdates and kParentalFlags_Locked

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2012 6:40 AM in response to Jimbaland83

I figured this out eventually and its actually pretty simple. You create the adminflags DWRORD 32-bit value under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Apple Computer, Inc.\iTunes\Parental Controls\Default" and simply add the decimal value of all of the controls that you wish to have.

Fo instance if you want to disable updates and lock the parental controls so only admins can change them, you would enter 257 for the DWORD value (The sum of kParentalFlags_DisableCheckForUpdates and kParentalFlags_Locked

Disabling "Check for Updates" via registry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.